FOREST, Va. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team was ranked third in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Preseason Coaches’ Poll released Tuesday. The Quakers collected 81 points, trailing number-two ranked Virginia Wesleyan College. Topping the poll with 10 first-place votes is five-time defending conference champion Washington and Lee University. Virginia Wesleyan earned the final first-place vote and 89 points.
The Quakers finished the 2014-15 season with an 11-5 overall record, 8-2 in the ODAC. Despite the graduation of 2015 First-Team All-ODAC singles performer Turner Votipka ’15, Guilford returns four veterans who each earned second-team all-league honors in 2015. Aaron Smedley, a junior, remains a threat in both singles and doubles competition after finishing second on last year’s team in overall victories (19). Senior captain Erik Meiler could replace Votipka atop Guilford’s ladder after playing second singles and first doubles last year. Junior Mason Church was All-ODAC in fifth singles and third doubles, where he played with classmate Levi Bruff, a team captain.
Head coach Dave McCain’s Quakers open the 2016 season Feb. 20 at home against NCAA Division II Pfeiffer University. McCain is the reigning ODAC Coach of the Year.
2016 ODAC MEN’S TENNIS PRESEASON POLL
(#) Denotes First Place Votes
1. Washington and Lee University (10) – 100 pts.
2. Virginia Wesleyan College (1) – 89 pts.
3. Guilford College – 81 pts.
4. Bridgewater College – 64 pts.
4. Roanoke College – 64 pts.
6. Randolph-Macon College – 56 pts.
7. Randolph College – 53 pts.
8. Shenandoah University – 34 pts.
9. Emory & Henry College – 26 pts.
10. Hampden-Sydney College – 24 pts.
11. Lynchburg College – 14 pts.