WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Olivia Lucas clinched the match with a win at No. 1 singles and the Elon University women’s tennis team earned its first victory of the season with a 7-0 shut out win over Gardner-Webb on Saturday afternoon at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Complex.
“We had great team energy and focus today,” said coach Elizabeth Anderson. “Gardner-Webb is a very competitive team and made us work hard for the points. We used the experience we have gained in the last few matches to motivate us today.”
The Phoenix clinched the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Kirsten Ward and Suzanne Zenoni clinched the doubles point with a 6-1 victory on court one. Elon won on all three courts by the score of 6-1.
In singles play, Natalia Janowicz won Elon’s first singles point with a 6-3, 6-0 victory at No. 4 and Erica Braschi gave the Phoenix a 3-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-3 win on court three.
Lucas then clinched the victory for Elon with a 6-0, 6-3 win on court one against Garder-Webb’s Rokia Sacko. Ward, Zenoni and Taylor Casey won their respective matches to complete the sweep over the Runnin’ Bulldogs.
Elon hosts Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, Feb. 19, at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center. The match will begin at 1:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Gardner-Webb vs Elon
Feb 13, 2016 at Winston-Salem, N.C.
(Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Complex)
Elon 7, Gardner-Webb 0
1. Olivia Lucas (ELON) def. SACKO, Rokia (GWU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Kirsten Ward (ELON) def. MAGNUSSON, Stina (GWU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Erica Braschi (ELON) def. BOLSTAD, Sandra (GWU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Natalia Janowicz (ELON) def. RIECKMANN, Sarah (GWU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) def. WHITE, Catherine (GWU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Taylor Casey (ELON) def. MIXON, Mary Walker (GWU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Kirsten Ward/Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) def. BOLSTAD, Sandra/FERMOSEL, Laura (GWU) 6-1
2. Erica Braschi/Taylor Casey (ELON) def. MIXON, Mary Walker/SACKO, Rokia (GWU) 6-1
3. Olivia Lucas/Natalia Janowicz (ELON) def. WHITE, Catherine/RIECKMANN, Sarah (GWU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)