ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
First Pitch Dinner, Thursday, Feb. 18, at 6:30 p.m., The Cutting Board, Burlington, N.C.
Elon vs. Wright State, Friday – Sunday, Feb. 19 – 21, at 4 p.m., 1 p.m. (DH) and 1:30 p.m., Latham Park
• Elon will open up its 2016 season with the first four of 36 home games as the Wright State Raiders visit Latham Park. The season opener is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 19.
• The Phoenix was selected to finish third in the CAA race this year. Elon was chosen to place behind UNCW and College of Charleston. Junior third baseman Nick Zammarelli was an honorable mention preseason all-conference honoree.
• For the first time in over a decade there has been a change on Elon’s full-time coaching staff. Former associate head coach Greg Starbuck departed after 17 years with the maroon and gold for a position at Clemson. Robbie Huffstetler was promoted to associate head coach. Micah Posey earned a promotion from volunteer assistant to full-time assistant and will serve as the pitching coach.
Men’s Basketball (14-12, 5-9 CAA)
Elon at Drexel, Thursday, Feb. 18, at 7 p.m., Philadelphia
Elon at Towson, Saturday, Feb. 20, at noon, Towson, Md.
• The Phoenix looks to bounce back on its road trip following an 0-2 week with losses to UNCW and the College of Charleston.
• Freshman Tyler Seibring averaged 17.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, had four total assists and three steals during Elon’s two games.
• Elon’s matchup with the Towson Tigers on Saturday will be a noon tip. The game will be aired on Comcast Sports Network (CSN).
Men’s Tennis (4-3)
Elon vs. Gardner-Webb, Sunday, Feb. 21, 2 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center, Elon, N.C.
• Elon defeated USC Upstate 5-1 on Saturday at Starmount Country Club in Greensboro to improve to 4-3 overall this season.
• Chris Humphreys clinched the victory with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles to give the Phoenix a 4-1 lead in the match.
• Elon returns to the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Sunday at 2 p.m. against Gardner-Webb.
Elon vs. North Carolina A&T, Wednesday, Feb. 17, at 4 p.m., Hunt Softball Park
Elon vs. Stephen F. Austin, Friday, Feb. 19, at 1:15 p.m., Orlando, Fla.
Elon vs. Missouri, Friday, Feb. 19, at 5:45 p.m., Orlando, Fla.
Elon vs. Omaha, Saturday, Feb. 20, at 11 a.m., Orlando Fla.
Elon vs. Florida, Saturday, Feb. 20, at 3:30 p.m., Orlando, Fla.
Elon vs. Jacksonville State, Feb. 21, at 10 a.m., Orlando, Fla.
• The Phoenix is scheduled to host its home opener this week versus local triad rival North Carolina A&T. Following that game, Elon will compete at the Citrus Classic in Orlando, Fla., where it will face off against five teams including two-time NCAA defending national champion No. 1 Florida.
• Elon split both its games at the University of Georgia Red and Black Showcase in its opening weekend. The Phoenix won both its games versus Winthrop by a combined score of 32-3, but suffered defeats at the hands of host and 12th-ranked Georgia.
• Redshirt sophomore Jenna Reilly is coming off a great weekend in her home state. The Marietta, Ga., native batted .750 (3-for-4) and had four RBI in her three games while starting the first two games of her career. She also hit her first career home run against the Bulldogs and scored four runs overall during the weekend.
Women’s Basketball (15-9, 8-5 CAA)
Elon at College of Charleston, Friday, Feb. 19, at 11:30 a.m., Charleston, S.C.
Elon vs. Drexel, Sunday, Feb. 21, at 3 p.m., Alumni Gym (American Sports Network)
• The Phoenix tallied a strong 80-58 victory over Towson on Friday evening before falling to Northeastern, 67-61, on Sunday afternoon as the team saw its three-game winning streak come to an end.
• Shay Burnett averaged 14 points and tallied 11 total assists on the week for the Phoenix followed by 13.5 points from Essence Baucom.
• Elon plays a mid-day game on Friday at CofC before returning home to take on Drexel on Feb. 21 in a game that will air on the American Sports Network.
Not in competition this week
• Heather Munro finished sixth overall individually as the Phoenix took third place in the FGCU Eagles Invitational, Feb. 12 – 14, at Stoneybrook Golf Club.
• Since the start of the fall season, Elon has earned a top-three finish in four of its five tournaments.
• The Phoenix returns to the links, Feb. 28 – March 1, at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate. The tournament will be hosted by College of Charleston at the Kiawah Island Osprey Point Golf Club.
Women’s Lacrosse (2-0)
Elon at Coastal Carolina, Friday, Feb. 19, at 3 p.m., Conway, S.C.
• Elon started the season 2-0 for the first time in program history after a season-opening 11-7 win over San Diego State on Friday before defeating Longwood, 15-8, on Sunday.
• Stephanie Asher tallied eight goals on the weekend, including six against the Lancers, and added two assists to post 10 total points in two games. The sophomore also recorded six ground balls, four draw controls and one caused turnover.
• Sloane Kessler also posted 10 points after seven goals and three assists. The junior netted a game-high three goals against the Aztecs before adding four against the Lancers, while also picking up five ground balls and one draw on the week.
Women’s Tennis (1-5)
Elon vs. FGCU, Friday, Feb. 19, at 1:30 p.m., Jimmy Powell Tennis Center
Elon at No. 67 NC State, Saturday, Feb. 20, at 3 p.m., Raleigh, N.C.
• The Phoenix cruised to a 7-0 shutout victory over Gardner-Webb on Saturday at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C. It was the team’s first win of the season.
• Olivia Lucas clinched the victory for Elon with a 6-0, 6-3 win on court one against Garder-Webb’s Rokia Sacko.
• Elon will return home on Friday against Florida Gulf Coast at 1:30 p.m. The Phoenix then heads to Raleigh to take on the NC State Wolfpack on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Women’s Track and Field
Elon at Penn State Tune-Up, Friday – Saturday, Feb. 19 – 20, University Park, Pa.
• The Phoenix competes in its final indoor meet of the regular season as Elon travels to the Penn State Tune-Up this weekend, Feb. 19 – 20.
• Elon competed last weekend at the Spire Institute Division I Challenge in Geneva, Ohio. The Phoenix set four new school records at the meet while also having a number of athletes qualify for the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Championships.
• Sydney Griffin broke the school record in the 200-meter dash with her time of 24.57 in the race, while fellow senior Jen Esposito set a new school mark in the 400-meters with a 55.29. Tereza Novotna recorded the best time in school history in the 5,000-meters with her time of 16:40.52. Esposito, Desiree Ross, Lauren Brzozowski and Lydia Laws set the new school record in the indoor 4×400-meter relay with their time of 3:48.44.