HPU MLAX’s comeback falls short against BU, 13-10

• Junior Michael LeClair equaled his career high with four goals to go along with two assists.
• Senior Dan Lomas posted four goals and an assist on the evening.
• High Point is back on the road on Saturday when it takes on No. 4 Maryland in College Park, Md. at noon.

HIGH POINT, N.C. – The High Point University men’s lacrosse team played from behind all evening in a 13-10 setback to Boston University at Vert Stadium on Tuesday.

Junior Michael LeClair anchored the offense for the Panthers (0-2) with six points (4g, 2a) and five ground balls. However, it wasn’t enough as the Terriers (3-0) used a 3-0 run in the first three minutes to earn a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

“Hats off to BU, they are a well-coached team that put together a strong 60-minute effort,” head coach Jon Torpey said. “We simply have to get back to competing every minute of every day and focus on us. I’m looking forward to the way our guys respond.”

Senior Dan Lomas joined LeClair scoring four goals to go with an assist. Meanwhile, senior Matt Thistle chipped in with a goal and two assists as freshman Jake Schleppy registered the first goal of his career.

Defensively, senior Zack Price racked up four caused turnovers and two ground balls. Likewise, sophomore Terrell Sands added two caused turnovers and a pair of ground balls. In goal, sophomore Zach Tuell recorded six saves on the night.

At the face-off X, freshman Alex Woodall won 12 of his 20 attempts while grabbing seven ground balls. Junior Sean Harrison and senior Joseph Taulane chipped in with an assist apiece.

The Terriers jumped out front scoring three goals in the first 2:30 to build a 3-0 advantage with 12:36 left in the first quarter. Thistle scored at the 9:45 mark to put the Purple & White on the board, but BU responded with the next three tallies to build a 6-1 lead after one period.

However, Schleppy scored on an assist from Harrison to make it 6-2 with 9:56 to go in the second to start HPU’s run. Two minutes later, the Panthers perfectly executed a hidden-ball trick as LeClair found Lomas for a man-up goal (6-3, 7:51). After a solid defensive stand, Taulane got in transition and found LeClair for his first goal of the year to cut the deficit to two (6-4) at halftime.

BU came out of the locker room hot again scoring twice in the first two minutes to regain its four-point advantage (8-4, 13:11). Thirty seconds later, Lomas scored to cut the deficit to three again. However, the Terriers answered right back with two goals and stretched their lead back to five goals (10-5, 10:20). LeClair, then, sandwiched goals around a BU tally to end the third with HPU trailing 11-7.

LeClair continued his stellar second half scoring his fourth goal at the 12:22 mark of the final period to pull HPU within three at 11-8. But once again BU responded with 10:33 to play to maintain its four-goal lead. From there, Lomas tallied his third goal to make it 12-9 (4:22). However, as they did all night, the Terriers answered quickly before Lomas posted his fourth score with 31 seconds to play.

The Panthers are back in the road to take on No. 4 Maryland on Saturday at noon in College Park, Md.