LEXINGTON, Va. – Thomas Johnson won at first singles and first doubles in 25th-ranked Washington and Lee University’s 6-3 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) tennis win over visiting Guilford College Sunday.
The Generals (10-4) remain unbeaten in seven ODAC contests, while the Quakers (3-7, 3-3 ODAC) saw their three-game winning streak come to a close.
Johnson and Will Bannister claimed an 8-6 first-doubles win over the Quakers’ Erik Meiler and Aaron Smedley. It was the home team’s lone doubles win in three contests. Johnson topped Meiler at first singles, 6-1, 6-2. Bannister was a 6-4, 6-1 winner over Mesa Martorell at second singles.
While Guilford won two of three doubles matches, the Generals won five of six singles contests. Zack Ely was a 6-0, 6-0 winner over Smedley at third singles. Joe Siami downed Guilford’s Mason Church, 6-0, 6-3, at fourth singles.
Graham Pearson accounted for two Quakers’ points with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Washington and Lee’s Justin Gillette and an 8-6 second-doubles triumph with partner Chasen Chacon over Ely and Siami.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers host Randolph College in a league match April 9 at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Washington and Lee
Apr 03, 2016 at Lexington, Va,
(W&L Upper Courts)
#25 Washington and Lee 6, Guilford 3
1. Thomas Johnson (W&L) def. Erik Meiler (GC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Will Bannister (W&L) def. Mesa Martorell (GC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Zack Ely (W&L) def. Aaron Smedley (GC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Joe Siami (W&L) def. Mason Church (GC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Perry Clements (W&L) def. Levi Bruff (GC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Graham Pearson (GC) def. Justin Gillette (W&L) 6-4, 6-2
1. Thomas Johnson/Will Bannister (W&L) def. Erik Meiler/Aaron Smedley (GC) 8-5
2. Chasen Chacon/Graham Pearson (GC) def. Zack Ely/Joe Siami (W&L) 8-6
3. Mesa Martorell/Levi Bruff (GC) def. Perry Clements/Justin Gillette (W&L) 8-6
Guilford 3-7, 3-3 ODAC
Washington and Lee 10-4, 7-0 ODAC; National ranking #25
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match
The Generals are ranked 25th in the latest Oracle/ITA Division 3 Poll