HIGH POINT, N.C. – The High Point University men’s lacrosse team takes on VMI at noon on Saturday in Vert Stadium.
The Panthers (8-5, 4-2), who are riding a four-game winning streak, will honor its 11-man senior class prior to taking on the Keydets (2-13, 0-6) in the regular season finale.
Last Time Out
• High Point used a 6-1 run over the final 40 minutes to pull away for a 10-5 victory at Furman on Saturday.
• Junior Michael LeClair had a hand in all of the final six tallies with three goals and three assists during the game-ending run.
• In goal, freshman Tim Troutner Jr. made 15 saves as the Panthers held the Paladins to five goals – the fewest allowed by HPU this season.
• Junior Dallas Bridle collected his second hat trick of the year on just three shots while senior Matt Thistle added two goals on the day.
• Senior Jamie Piluso (5-8) and freshman Alex Woodall (7-11) combined to go 12-19 in the face-off circle. Woodall and redshirt-senior Adam Seal each picked up three grounders as HPU earned a 22-20 edge in ground balls.
• Senior Dan Lomas scored an incredible between-the-legs goal to go along with an assist as the team’s fourth multi-point scorer.
• Sophomore Peyton Garrett tallied the team’s other goal while senior Jamie Piluso and sophomore Connor Robinson added assists.
Three Straight Nine-Win Seasons
• Eight teams nationally have won nine games in each of the last three seasons. The Panthers are one win away from joining that group. Johns Hopkins, North Carolina and Syracuse also are one win away while Fairfield and Virginia need two more triumphs to reach nine for a third straight year.
We’re Going Streakin’
• HPU is currently riding a four-game winning streak, which is tied for the program’s second-longest streak. The team enjoyed a four-game streak earlier in 2016 and at the end of last season.
• HPU’s longest streak was a six-outing run during the 2014 season when the Purple & White won every game by two goals or fewer.
• During the current run the Panthers have outscored opponents 52-32 with the lowest margin of victory being four goals (14-10, Jacksonville).
• As a freshman, LeClair posted a point in three of his first seven games, but has registered a point in every one since then. His 39-game point streak is the seventh-longest active streak in the nation.
• LeClair has scored a goal in 12 consecutive contests while Dan Lomas owns the longest active goal-scoring streak with 13 games.
Lomas a Finalist for Senior CLASS Award
Dan Lomas was selected as one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award, the first finalist in program history.
A Look at the Keydets
• Sophomore Wesley Sanders is the main cog in the VMI offensive attack with 27 goals and seven assists on the year – both tops on the team.
• Freshman Kyle Walsh leads the Southern Conference with 24 caused turnovers and leads the team with 54 ground balls on the year.
• Junior Tom Nofi (9g, 7a) and sophomore Cody Sheetz (10g, 1a) are the Keydets other two double-digit scorers.
• Sophomore Joe Riccadonna has started all 15 games in goal while racking up 9.80 saves per game and a .445 save percentage.
• The Keydets have had three different players take at least 80 face-offs on the year. Freshman Tristan Capes-Davis has the most wins (51-115) while junior Brad Nardella has the best percentage (.483).
All-Time Series with VMI
The Panthers have earned victories in both of their previous meetings with the Keydets.
Last Time They Met
Thirteen Panthers scored a goal as 18 tallied at least a point to lead HPU to an 18-5 win at VMI last year. Matt Thistle (3g, 2a) paced the offense as Zach Tuell made 11 saves in the victory.
The Purple & White are off to the Southern Conference in Richmond, Va. on Thursday.