HPU men’s soccer rallies for 4-2 win over St. Bonaventure

• High Point remained undefeated with a 4-2 win over St. Bonaventure on Sunday at Vert Stadium.
• The Panthers scored three second-half goals to turn a 1-1 halftime score line into a 4-2 win.
• Freshman Ryan Inman scored the game-winning goal with just over seven minutes left to play.

HIGH POINT, N.C. – The High Point University men’s soccer team got two goals in the final 10 minutes of action to break open a 2-2 tie and pick up a 4-2 win over St. Bonaventure on Sunday afternoon at Vert Stadium.

“I thought the boys did well today,” head coach EJ O’Keeffe said. “It was a true team effort out there. These Sunday games are always difficult and we knew we would have to rely on our depth. We played a lot of players and got some significant contributions from those guys. It is great to get a win and protect our home field as we prepare for our first away match.”

Freshman Ryan Inman scored the game winner for the Panthers with a goal in the 83rd minute, his second of the season. Inman took an attempted clearance off a corner kick out of the air with his shot that beat the diving SBU keeper to the right.

High Point added an insurance goal in the final two minutes when an attempted clearance by the Bonnies hit off the keeper and went into the net for an own goal.

The Panthers remain undefeated on the season with the win, improving to 2-0-1 and finish the HPU/Elon Classic with a 1-0-1 record. The Bonnies drop to 0-3-1 with the loss.

St. Bonaventure scored the first goal of the contest in the 35th minute against the run of play, finding the back of the net with their second shot of the game. Kosi Nwafornso dribbled in after taking a throw in and hit a shot from outside the box that hit into the far side netting.

The Bonnies’ lead lasted just four minutes as High Point leveled the score at 1-1 on a penalty kick goal by junior Ebe Kudolo. Junior Poli Rodriguez was dragged down in the box to earn the spot kick for HPU. Kudolo stepped up and hammered a shot off the post and in to tie the game.

High Point came out on fire to start the second half and was rewarded in the 51st minute as freshman Siggi Benonysson scored his fourth of the season to put the Panthers in front, 2-1. Junior Chris Ramsell corralled a loose ball and found redshirt-sophomore Justen Shear who shipped it over the top to Benonysson. The forward took the ball down and beat the on-rushing keeper with a chip shot.

St. Bonaventure tied the game again in the 67th minute when a shot by Jacob Dyck took a deflection off sophomore Johnny Fenwick, wrong-footing HPU keeper Keegan Meyer and rolling into the goal.

The Panthers dominated possession and outshot St. Bonaventure 21-6 and finished with a 9-2 edge in shots on goal and an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks.

High Point hits the road for the first time this season next weekend when the Panthers travel to Baltimore, Md., to face Loyola (Md.) on Saturday, Sept. 10. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.