ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Elon at High Point VertKlasse XC Invitational, Friday, Oct. 14, Kenersville, N.C.
Elon at NCAA Pre-Nationals, Saturday, Oct. 15, Terre Haute, Ind.
• The maroon and gold cross country programs will split for this weekend’s meets with majority of the squad heading to the local High Point VertKlasse XC Invitational on Friday. Other select members will then travel to the NCAA Pre-Nationals a day later in Terre Haute, Ind., the site of the 2016 NCAA Cross Country Championships.
• Nick Ciolkowski and Kimberly Johansen both were selected as the Colonial Athletic Association Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Runners’ of the Week, respectively, last Tuesday. Ciolkowski won his award for the second time this season after earning a top-15 finish at the Greater Louisville Classic with a personal-best time of 24:16.01 in the men’s 8K.
• Johansen claimed her first career league weekly honor after the Chelmsford, England, native set a new school-record in the women’s 5K at the Greater Louisville Classic. The senior clocked a 17:23.40 and finished in the top-25 in the race.
Football (2-4, 1-2)
Not in competition this week
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Oct. 13, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
• Daniel Everett recovered a fumble and returned it for a touchdown in Elon’s 13-10 loss against New Hampshire on Friday night. It marked the first fumble returned for a TD by the Phoenix since September of 2004.
• Elon is now 28-28 in games decided by one score since 1999. Friday’s game marked the 10th game under head coach Rich Skrosky decided by just one score.
• The Phoenix will take this weekend off before playing host to nationally-ranked Richmond for Homecoming at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22.
Phoenix Invitational, Monday – Tuesday, Oct. 17 – 18, Burlington, N.C.
• Elon is set to host the Phoenix Invitational Monday, Oct. 17 – Tuesday, Oct. 18, at the Alamance Country Club.
• Charlie May led the way for the Phoenix earning a top-15 finish at the Tar Heel Intercollegiate. After shooting a first-round two-over 74, the senior rebounded tying a career-low round with a three-under 69, to move into the top-15 individually. In the second round alone, May drained six birdies.
• Dex Blank shot a career-low round of 74 in the final 18 holes and finished 69th individually.
Men’s Soccer (5-2-3, 1-0-2)
Elon vs. William & Mary, Wednesday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon at Drexel, Saturday, Oct. 15, at 4 p.m., Philadelphia
• Elon hosts William & Mary in an midweek match on Wednesday before traveling to Drexel on Saturday for the first time in a pair of Colonial Athletic Association contests this week.
• The Phoenix snapped its three-game winless streak with its 1-0 victory at Northeastern last Saturday, Oct. 8. Jack Willibye provided the game-winner in the match in the 35th minute to give Elon its third win in the last four games against the Huskies.
• The win on Saturday gave the Phoenix it’s first CAA win of the year. Elon is currently tied for third in the league standings with five points along with upcoming foe William & Mary.
ITA Carolina Regionals, Friday – Monday, Oct. 14 – 17, Cary, N.C.
• The Phoenix hosted the Elon Fall Invitational in its last tournament, which was shorted due to rain on Sunday. Mario Paccini and Felipe Sarrasague also competed at the Southern Intercollegiate in Georgia.
• Salvador Mijares led the way for the Phoenix at the program’s fall tournament, finishing 3-0 in singles and advancing to the finals of the main draw. Paccini and Sarrasague competed at Southern Intercollegiate at the University of Georgia. Paccini picked up a big win against ITA No. 58-ranked Christian Langmo of Miami.
• The Phoenix will return to the courts at the ITA Carolina Regionals, Oct. 14 – 17, in Cary, N.C.
Volleyball (15-7, 2-4)
Elon vs. UNCW, Saturday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. College of Chareleston, Sunday, Oct. 16, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Phoenix dropped a pair of matches over the weekend, falling in five sets at Northeastern on Friday before a loss to Hofstra on Sunday.
Sydney Busa led the Phoenix with 49 kills on the week to average 3.77 kills per set and also posted 3.31 digs per set, while Sydel Curry tallied 122 assists for 9.38 assists per set.
• After a four-match road swing, Elon returns home to Alumni Gym to host in-state opponent UNCW on Saturday and long-time conference foe CofC on Sunday.
Pinehurst Challenge, Monday – Tuesday, Oct. 10 – 11, Pinehurst, N.C.
• The Phoenix is set to compete in its third tournament of the fall after earning a runner-up finish at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate.
• Kelsey Badmaev earned her fifth-career CAA Golfer of the Week honor after finishing tied for fifth place individually to help Elon to a runner-up finish at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate.
• Following the Pinehurst Challenge, the Phoenix will compete in the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate, Oct. 23 – 25, to close out the fall season.
Women’s Soccer (7-7-1, 2-3)
Elon vs. Drexel, Friday, Oct. 14, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. Delaware, Sunday, Oct. 14, at 1 p.m., Rudd Field (Senior Day)
• The Phoenix dropped both of its CAA matches at Hofstra and Northeastern his past weekend.
• Erin Tanhauser scored Elon’s lone goal over the weekend in the Phoenix’s 3-1 loss at Hofstra on Friday, Oct. 7.
• The maroon and gold returns home on Friday, Oct. 14, and Sunday, Oct. 16. Elon hosts Drexel on Friday at 7 p.m. and Delaware for Senior Day on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Not in competition this week
• Elon competed at the Wake Forest Invitational, Sept. 30 – Oct. 2. Suzanne Zenoni went 3-1 in singles action and advanced to the finals of the B Singles draw, while Natalia Janowicz and Maria Paraja went unbeaten and captured the title of the D Doubles draw. Paraja went 3-1 in singles and finished a combined 6-1 for the weekend.
• Erica Braschi went 2-2 in the A Singles draw. The junior’s performance was highlighted by a 7-5, 6-2 triumph over Alyssa Smith of Duke.
• The next time the Phoenix returns to the courts will be at the ITA Carolina Regionals, Oct. 20 – 24, in Chapel Hill, N.C.