College Football Final – Washington and Lee 48, Guilford 34

GREENSB ORO, N .C. – Senior Marshall Hollerith ran 26 times for 123 yards and two touchdowns in Washington and Lee University’s 48-34 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) football victory at Guilford College Saturday.

The Generals (4-2, 3-0 ODAC), the NCAA Division III rushing leaders, ran their option-based offense for a season-high 498 yards and seven touchdowns in their 11th straight ODAC win. The loss ended Guilford’s (4-2, 1-2 ODAC) 14-game home winning streak that dated to 2013.

Washington and Lee held a 27-20 halftime lead, but Guilford tied the game on Karl Roberts’ 23-yard fumble return for a touchdown on the second-half’s third offensive play. Erick Fuentes’ extra point tied the score at 27-27.

Two long third-quarter runs gave the visitors a two-touchdown advantage the Quakers could not overcome. On the possession after Roberts’ game-tying score, Oliver Herndon ripped off a 49-yard touchdown run, one of Washington and Lee’s four jaunts of 20 yards or more. Following a Quakers’ punt, Generals’ quarterback Charlie Nelson scored on a 75-yard keeper. Guilford’s Ke’Desh Edwards blocked the extra point, which left Washington and Lee with a 40-27 lead entering the fourth quarter.

Guilford narrowed the gap to 40-34 early in the final frame and was set to regain possession before a costly turnover set up the Generals’ final score. Karsten Miller’s 27-yard touchdown pass to Rontavius Miller with 12:58 left in regulation made it a 40-34 game. The Quakers’ defense forced a Washington and Lee punt on the ensuing possession, but the kick glanced off Guilford return man Tim Marshall and Washington and Lee’s Jimmie Johnson fell on the fumble at the Quakers’ 28-yard line. Two plays later, Connor Chess scored from nine yards out and Nelson ran in the two-point conversion for a 48-34 Washington and Lee advantage with 10:27 remaining.

The Generals’ defense had five sacks among eight tackles for loss, including successive sacks by Rhett Delk and Jay Roberts on a Quakers’ drive midway through the final quarter. The plays moved Guilford back to midfield where it turned the ball over on downs with 5:20 remaining. Washington and Lee picked up three first downs to run out the clock.

Hollerith’s second 100-yard rushing game of the year paced six Generals with 50 or more yards on the ground. Nelson had 85 yards on three carries and also completed a 52-yard pass to Witt Hawkins that set up a first-quarter touchdown. Evan Hinkle had 61 yards on six carries. Herndon, Chess and Matt Sgro each gained 56 yards. Max Garrett made a team-high 15 tackles. Thomas Freedland added 13 stops and broke up three passes. Michael Shields registered 10 tackles and blocked a Quakers’ 40-yard field-goal second quarter attempt.

Guilford junior Hunter Causey ran 26 times for 167 yards and caught two passes for 10 yards. Karsten Miller completed 28-of-42 passes for 234 yards with one interception. He threw touchdowns to Rontavius Miller, Tyriek Russell (9 catches, 85 yards) and Hez McKinnon. Junior safety Julian Cuthbertson made a game- and career-high 16 tackles. Hoots finished with 14 stops, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Gibson Ziah added 11 stops, including two for loss, and forced one of Washington and Lee’s three fumbles.

Coach Chris Rusiewicz’s Quakers visit league-rival Shenandoah University next Saturday (10/22).