Elon Women’s Soccer’s Match at College of Charleston Ends in a Draw

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – Although the Elon women’s soccer team dominated most of the match and had two quality chances denied in overtime, the league matchup against the College of Charleston Cougars finished in a scoreless draw on Friday, Oct. 21, at Patriots Point.


“We played very well for most of this match tonight,” said head coach Chris Neal. “Again, like last weekend, we created some very dangerous chances, but the ball would not find the back of the net for us. I hate it for our players because they are battling so hard. I feel they’ve deserved more than two points out of these past three matches. Our sport can be cruel at times. It was a great match tonight and hats off to a fantastic CofC team, and their head coach Christian Michner. Although it was a 0-0 draw, I think the crowd was highly entertained.”

With the draw, the Phoenix moves to 7-8-3 overall and 2-4-2 in the CAA. Charleston’s record changes to 10-6-2 overall and they move to 3-3-2 in conference play after the tie. Elon is still alive in the CAA postseason chase. The Phoenix can finish anywhere between fifth and eighth in the conference standings with a win on Sunday. It will depend on the rest of the results around the league.

The Phoenix dominated most of the first half despite having less shots than the Cougars. Taylor Paradoskimissed a shot wide and Nyah Spearman’s effort was saved in the first 10 minutes of action. Elon goalkeeperKatelyn Fowler had to make one save in the half and the match was scoreless at halftime.

In the second half, the maroon and gold forced College of Charleston to take shots from distance in the half. Fowler made one save in the 60th minute and Amanda Lasater tested Charleston’s Lauren Killian, forcing her to make a save in the 69th minute. The scoreless 90 minutes sent the game into overtime.

College of Charleston created some dangerous chances during overtime, including two shots that were blocked by Elon and one that Fowler saved. The Phoenix created two great chances of its own as Erin Tanhauser forced Killian to make a save in the 96th minute and Rakel Jonsdottir’s shot in the 100th minute was cleared off the line.

The second overtime period saw the Cougars produce a couple of good chances, but Elon’s defense made some big stops. Jonsdottir had one last chance with 17 seconds remaining, but Killian made a match-saving save to deny the Phoenix three points.

Elon looks to keep its postseason hopes alive on Sunday, Oct. 23, at UNCW. The final regular season match for the Phoenix against the Seahawks kicks off at 2 p.m.