ELON, N.C. – The Elon University football team will hit the road for the first time since a Sept. 24 victory at then-No. 8 William & Mary by travelling to New York to take on the Albany Great Danes. Game time is set for noon on Saturday, Oct. 29 and the contest will air on the American Sports Network.
Calling the game for ASN will be Dave Armstrong and Rich Baldinger.
Fans unable to attend the game can listen to the game on WSML 104.5 FM and 1200 AM or at elonphoenix.com as David Hibbard and Taylor Durham will have the call. The radio broadcast will start at 11:30 a.m. Fans can also listen to all Elon football games via the TuneIn Radio app. This app is free to download to your smartphone.
A video stream of the game will be available through UAlbanySports.com.
ELON VS. ALBANY
Albany is the second of three first-time opponents on Elon’s 2016 schedule. Earlier in the year, the Phoenix faced Villanova for the first time. In two weeks, the maroon and gold will have its first-ever contest against Rhode Island.
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN
The Phoenix football squad elected two captains for the 2016 season. Serving as captain for the second year in a row is senior linebacker John Silas (Powder Springs, Ga.). He will be joined by first-year captain, junior offensive lineman Ikenna Nwokeji (Randolph, Mass.).
Each week the Phoenix will also name a game-week captain. The list of those captains is below:
• Gardner-Webb– LB Warren Messer (Garner, N.C.)
• at Charlotte – RB Brandon Gentry (Monroe, N.C.)
• Fayetteville State – DL Nick Groll (Armonk, N.Y.)
• at William & Mary – DB Malcolm Galloway (Norcross, Ga.)
• Villanova – DL Dondre Howell (Mooresville, N.C.)
• New Hampshire – OL CJ Toogood (Holly Springs, N.C.)
• Richmond – DB Chris Blair (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
• at Albany – TE John Luke Arrington (Springboro, Ohio)
NUMBERS FROM LAST GAME
• 2 consecutive games with double-digit tackles by linebacker Warren Messer (Garner, N.C.) who made 10 stops against Richmond
• 7th place in Elon history in career tackles is where John Silas (Powder Springs, Ga.) now ranks after his eight against the Spiders give him 331 for his career
The Phoenix will play its first road game since a Sept. 24 victory at William & Mary when it visits Albany on Oct. 29. In between, Elon played three home games and had a bye week. It marked the longest stretch without a road game for Elon ince 1994 when the maroon and gold played three home games and had a bye between road games on Oct. 8 and Nov. 12.
WINNING ON THE ROAD
Three of Elon’s four victories last season came on the road. That marked the most road wins for the Phoenix since winning three contests away from home in 2011. Elon is 1-1 on the road in 2016.