ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams. “Follow us” on Twitter at @elonphoenix and @elonscores, “Like” Elon Phoenix on Facebook and continue to check elonphoenix.com to stay current on all things Elon Athletics.
Not in competition this week
• The Phoenix competed last Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Colonial Athletic Association Cross Country Championships in Newark, Del. The Phoenix men’s team finished third overall in the 8K race with 84 points, while the Elon female harries also finished third with 66 points in the women’s 6K.
• Nick Ciolkowski became the first runner in school history to win two individual conference championships as the Fairport, N.Y., native defended his league title at the league meet this past weekend. The sophomore finished with a time of 25:08.10 – nearly 13 seconds faster than the runner-up. It was the third straight year that an Elon men’s runner has claimed CAA medalist honors (Luis Vargas 2014; Ciolkowski 2015, 2016).
• The Phoenix women had three members of its squad receive All-CAA accolades. Kimberly Johansen was the top finisher for Elon after crossing the line third overall with a time of 21:26.42, while Coralea Geraniotis was eighth with a time of 22:04.19. Rookie Melissa Anastasakis was 12th overall with her time of 22:18.35.
• Elon will next race at the NCAA Southeast Regional Championships on Nov. 11, in Charlottesville, Va.
Football (2-6, 1-4)
Inside the Huddle Luncheon, Monday, Oct. 31, at noon, Best Western Plus
Elon Football Live Radio Show, Thursday, Nov. 3, at 7 p.m., The Fat Frogg
Elon at Towson, Saturday, Nov. 5, at 2 p.m., Towson, Md.
• Linebacker Warren Messer has posted at least 10 tackles in three consecutive outings. Against Albany, Messer made a career-high 14 total tackles.
• Elon will play two of its final three games on the road. Three of the maroon and gold’s four wins a year ago came on the road.
• The Phoenix heads back on the road this week to take on the Towson Tigers on Saturday afternoon. Elon is 1-4 all-time against Towson after downing the Tigers at Rhodes Stadium last year.
Elon vs. Randolph College, Tuesday, Nov. 1, at 8 p.m., Alumni Gym (Exhibition)
• The Elon men’s basketball team will begin final preparations for the 2016-17 season with an exhibition contest on Tuesday night against Randolph College in Alumni Gym. Phoenix teams are 8-0 in exhibitions under head coach Matt Matheny.
• The maroon and gold returns 11 experienced players this year that saw action in 16 or more games last season. That group includes four starters and freshman newcomer Seth Fuller.
• Listen to the game live on WSML 104.5 FM/1200 AM with Taylor Durham and Ryan Meizinger on the call. Pre-game coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. from Alumni Gym.
Hummingbird Intercollegiate, Monday – Tuesday, Oct. 31 – Nov. 1, Cashiers, N.C.
• The Phoenix returns to the links in Cashiers, N.C., for the Hummingbird Invitational hosted by Western Carolina, Oct. 31 – Nov. 1.
• In the last tournament, Jake Leavitt finished tied for first individually and the Phoenix finished third at the second-annual Elon Phoenix Invitational, Oct. 17-18, at Alamance Country Club. Elon’s third-place finish marked its best team result since a second-place finish at the Pinehurst Intercollegiate in March.
• Leavitt closed with a 1-under par round of 70 on the final day after carding a 67 and a career-low 66 in the first two rounds. He finished tied with two other players in first place at 10-under par and earned his first-career CAA Men’s Golfer of the Week honor on Oct. 19.
Men’s Soccer (7-5-3, 3-2-2)
Elon vs. UNCW, Tuesday, Nov. 1, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
Elon vs. TBD, Saturday, Nov. 5, at 7 p.m., Rudd Field
• The Phoenix hosts UNCW in its final match of the regular season on Tuesday, Nov. 1, at Rudd Field. The match is a rescheduled contest after inclement weather forced the postponement of the original date on Sept. 28.
• Despite suffering a 3-1 setback versus Hofstra in its recent contest last Saturday, the Phoenix clinched a spot in the upcoming Colonial Athletic Association Tournament for the third straight season. Elon will be the No. 3 or No. 4 seed of the tournament depending on tomorrow night’s outcome versus UNCW, who currently sits at No. 3 in the league standings.
• Regardless of tomorrow night’s outcome, Elon will host a match this Saturday, Nov. 5 ,at 7 p.m. for the quarterfinal round of the CAA Tournament. The opponent will be determined after the conclusion of the league’s regular season on Tuesday.
Volleyball (16-12, 3-9)
Elon vs. North Carolina Central, Tuesday, Nov. 1, at 6 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon at College of Charleston, Saturday, Nov. 5, at 1 p.m., Charleston, S.C.
• After a sweep at William & Mary last Monday, Elon dropped both matches over the weekend, falling in four to both Towson and Delaware.
• The Phoenix plays its final non-conference match of the season on Tuesday in Alumni Gym against North Carolina Central. This is the second meeting this year between Elon and NCCU as the maroon and gold claimed a 3-0 win in Durham, N.C., on Sept. 13.
• Elon closes out the travel portion of its regular season this weekend with a trip to College of Charleston and UNCW. The Phoenix first takes on the Cougars in Charleston on Saturday before heading to Wilmington on Monday to face the Seahawks.
Not in competition this week
• The Phoenix played its lone exhibition game on Saturday with a 74-42 win against Wingate in Alumni Gym. Shay Burnett led the way for the maroon and gold with a double-double after 20 points and 11 boards to go along with four assists and six steals. Jenifer Rhodes also tallied a double with 10 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.
• It was announced last week that Elon was selected second in the CAA Predicted Order of Finish. Burnett and Rhodes were both selected for preseason honors as Burnett was named to the CAA Preseason All-Conference First Team and Rhodes earned honorable mention.
• Elon officially begins the 2016-17 season on Friday, Nov. 11, at Green Bay as part of the Preseason WNIT. Tip is set for 8 p.m. (EST) in Green Bay, Wis.
Kitty Harrison Invitational, Friday – Sunday, Nov. 4 – 6, Chapel Hill, N.C.
• Elon closes out the fall season this week at the Kitty Harrison Invitational, hosted by the University of North Carolina.
• At the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Carolina Regionals, Maria Paraja impressed by winning a pair of qualifying matches to earn a spot in the main singles draw. Elon also had a pair of doubles team win two matches in the main doubles draw.
• The doubles team of Paraja and Natalia Janowicz, as well as the duo of Erica Braschi and Kirsten Ward, went 2-1 to advance to the round of 16 at the regionals.