SAPPHIRE, N.C. – Senior Jared Mactas and freshman William Harwood earned top-10 individual finishes as the Elon University men’s golf team wrapped up its fall season with a third-place finish at the Hummingbird Intercollegiate on Tuesday, Nov. 1, at the Country Club of Sapphire Valley.
The Phoenix closed with a team total of 287 in the second round, the second-lowest team score of the day. Elon’s two-round total of 579 was good for third place. Mactas and Harwood each finished tied for seventh individually at 144.
Mactas, who finished tied for fifth at the 2015 Hummingbird Intercollegiate, shot 1-under par 70 in the final round to jump into the top 10.
Harwood carded a 71 to finish tied for seventh, his best finish as a Phoenix.
Philip Loeb and Jake Leavitt also earned top-20 finishes for Elon, as Loeb tied for 11th with a total of 145 and Leavitt tied for 14th at 146.
Charlie May finished in a tied for 37th while William Knibbs and Dex Blank, who competed as individuals, ended in a tie for 40th and a tie for 56th, respectively.
– Elon’s third-place finish tied its best finish of the fall season. The Phoenix also took third place at the Phoenix Invitational on Oct. 18.
– Jared Mactas’ and William Harwood’s seventh-place finishes marked their best of the fall. Mactas took fifth at the 2015 Hummingbird Intercollegiate while Harwood was competing for the first time this fall.
2016 Hummingbird Intercollegiate
Oct. 31-Nov. 1 | Sapphire, N.C.
1. Western Carolina (278-280–558) -10
2. Eastern Kentucky (290-288–578) +10
3. Elon (292-287–579) +11
4. South Carolina Beaufort (300-291–591) +23
5. High Point (292-300–592) +24
6. Brevard College (294-306–600) +32
7. Cardinal Stritch University (304-297–601) +33
8. Austin Peay State (303-299–602) +34
9. Southern Wesleyan (309-302–611) +43
T7. Jared Mactas (74-70–144) +2
T7. William Harwood (73-71–144) +2
T11. Philip Loeb (73-72–145) +3
T14. Jake Leavitt (72-74–146) +4
T37. Charlie May (77-76–153) +11
T40. William Knibbs (75-80–155) +13*
T56. Dex Blank (81-80–161) +19*
*competing as individual