Elon Men’s Soccer Phoenix, Seahawks Settle for Scoreless Draw in Regular Season Finale

ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s soccer team recorded its league-best eighth shutout of the season as 110 minutes were not enough to settle the Phoenix’s regular-season finale versus UNCW as the Colonial Athletic Association match ended in scoreless draw on Tuesday evening, Nov. 1, at Rudd Field.


The match handed Elon (7-5-4, 3-2-3 CAA) its fourth straight winless effort, but also the No. 4 seed for the upcoming league tournament. UNCW (8-5-3 3-2-3 CAA), who needed a win or a draw to qualify for the tournament, becomes the No. 3 seed. The Seahawks earned the tiebreaker over the Phoenix due to its victories over the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds, Hofstra and Delaware, respectively.

The Rundown
Neither team generated a ton of action in the opening half although UNCW seemed to had more control of possession in first stanza. The Seahawks had the first shot of the game near the second minute of the match and five total in the opening half, but neither of those came on frame.

Elon was held without a shot until the 37th minute of the match. Marcel Fahrenholz looked to take advantage the few Phoenix chances in its offensive third, but his attempt from close to 18 yards went wide left. The match went into the half scoreless with Fahrenholz’s attempt being Elon’s lone shot of the first period.

In the second half, perhaps the best chance of the night for both squads came inside the 52nd minute. UNCW’s Kalvin Kromer intercepted an Phoenix errant pass deep into the Seahawks’ offensive third and faced keeper Matthew Jegier one-on-one on a breakaway. Kromer sent in a shot just past the 18 after he maneuver around Jegier, but it hit the right post and back out of play.

The Phoenix’s lone shot on goal of the match came inside the 78th minute. Elon’s Austin Hill attempted a shot from near the right post of the penalty area, but it was easily corralled by the keeper. The stalemate continued for the remaining 12 minutes of regulation as Elon went into overtime for the second time in three games.

However, neither extra session featured any shots on target for either side. The Phoenix’s lone shot during the overtime periods came on desperate attempt by Nick Adamczyk as the clock was running down in the second overtime that was blocked to set the 0-0 draw.

• Jegier finished the match with a pair of saves and recorded his seventh clean sheet of the year. The Charlotte, N.C., native also moved past former Phoenix netminder and current assistant coach Taylor Saxe (2003-06) for sole possession of fourth on the program’s career clean sheets list with 16.
• UNCW outshot the Phoenix, 13-7, and had two shots on goal compared to one for Elon. The Seahawks also earned four corners while Elon received one.
• Both teams were marred with fouls throughout the match with 23 for UNCW and 18 for Elon. Four total yellow cards were also handed out between the two teams.
• The draw coupled with College of Charleston’s 1-0 victory over Drexel earned the Cougars a spot in the CAA Tournament. The result eliminated James Madison from qualifying for the postseason.
• Hill and Fahrenholz led the Phoenix with a pair of shots each. Three different players had the remaining shots of Elon.

Up Next
Elon hosts No. 5 seed William & Mary for the first round of the CAA Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 5, at 7 p.m. Both teams met originally in Elon on Oct. 12, with the Phoenix prevailing with a 2-0 victory.