GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Elon University women’s basketball team dropped its 2016-17 season opener to the Green Bay Phoenix, 71-56, on Friday, Nov. 11, at the Kress Events Center. The game was part of the Preseason WNIT tournament.
Turnovers plagued the Phoenix in the first half, as Green Bay forced Elon into a total of 18 miscues that led to 23 points. Green Bay held a commanding 34-9 advantage at the break.
But the Phoenix limited the deficit to 10 points early in the fourth period after a three by Jada Graves made it a 57-47 game with 7:09 to play. That was as close as the maroon and gold would come, however, as Green Bay went on a 10-0 run over the next five minutes to reclaim a 20-point lead and all but seal the win.
• Lauren Brown finished with a team-high 17 points on 6-of-15 shooting from the floor, including a 4-of-11 clip from deep.
• Graves added 12 points in her collegiate debut, connecting on four threes in her first game.
• Jenifer Rhodes hauled down a game-high 13 boards for the Phoenix.
• Green Bay put four players in double figures, led by a game-high 22 points from Mehryn Kraker.
• The loss snaps Elon’s three-game winning streak in season openers. The Phoenix drops to 29-18 all-time in season lid-lifters.
Elon returns to the hardwood on Monday night, Nov. 14, when it hosts Rutgers. Tip is set for 5:30 p.m. inside Alumni Gym. It marks the first ever meeting between the two schools.