ELON, N.C. – The 2016 football season will come to a close for the Elon Phoenix on Saturday, Nov. 19, as the maroon and gold visits fifth-ranked James Madison for a 1:30 p.m. kick in Harrisonburg, Va.
Fans unable to attend the game can listen to the game on WSML 104.5 FM and 1200 AM or at elonphoenix.com as David Hibbard and Taylor Durham will have the call. The radio broadcast will start at 12:30 p.m. Fans can also listen to all Elon football games via the TuneIn Radio app. This app is free to download to your smartphone.
A video stream of the game will be available through CAA.tv.
ELON VS. JAMES MADISON
Saturday’s contest will mark the fifth between the Phoenix and Dukes. Elon is 0-4 in the previous four meetings. This will be the fourth time the two programs have met in Harrisonburg.
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN
The Phoenix football squad elected two captains for the 2016 season. Serving as captain for the second year in a row is senior linebacker John Silas (Powder Springs, Ga.). He will be joined by first-year captain, junior offensive lineman Ikenna Nwokeji (Randolph, Mass.).
Each week the Phoenix will also name a game-week captain. The list of those captains is below:
• Gardner-Webb– LB Warren Messer (Garner, N.C.)
• at Charlotte – RB Brandon Gentry (Monroe, N.C.)
• Fayetteville State – DL Nick Groll (Armonk, N.Y.)
• at William & Mary – DB Malcolm Galloway (Norcross, Ga.)
• Villanova – DL Dondre Howell (Mooresville, N.C.)
• New Hampshire – OL CJ Toogood (Holly Springs, N.C.)
• Richmond – DB Chris Blair (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
• at Albany – TE John Luke Arrington (Springboro, Ohio)
• at Towson – None
• Rhode Island – None
• at James Madison – None
NUMBERS FROM LAST GAME
• 2 defensive touchdowns scored by Elon this year after defensive end Dondre Howell(Mooresville, N.C.) returned an interception 26 yards for a TD against Rhode Island
• 5.9 yards gained per play by the Phoenix, a season high
• 8 tackles by linebacker John Silas (Powder Springs, Ga.) who moved in to a fifth-place tie on Elon’s all-time tackles chart with 350
GROLL GETTING IT DONE IN THE CLASSROOM
For the second consecutive year, Elon University football player Nick Groll has earned a spot on the CoSIDA Academic All-District 3 Football Team and will now be eligible for Academic All-American accolades. This marks the first time an Elon player has earned back-to-back Academic All-District accolades since running back A.J. Harris did so in three straight seasons from 2009-11. Groll, a defensive lineman, carries a 3.68 GPA as an economics major. He is also pursuing minors in communications and music. Groll is a four-time Dean’s List recipient and has been named to the President’s List once. He was a member of the 2014 and 2015 CAA Football Academic All-Conference Team.