ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams.
Men’s Basketball (2-1)
NIU Thanksgiving Classic
Elon vs. UIC, Wednesday, Nov. 23, at 5:30 p.m., DeKalb, Ill.
Elon at Northern Illinois, Friday, Nov. 25, at 2 p.m., DeKalb, Ill.
Elon vs. Cal Poly, Saturday, Nov. 26, at 2 p.m., DeKalb, Ill
• The Phoenix had a 1-1 split last week with a narrow 100-95 loss to Charlotte on Nov. 14 and a 74-61 victory at South Florida on Thursday, Nov. 17.
• Steven Santa Ana became the 10th Elon player during the program’s Division I era to score 30+ points in a game after dropping 32 points against Charlotte on Monday.
• Elon had all players that saw action against USF score during the Phoenix’s 74-61 victory on Thursday. Elon also had four or more players finish in double-figures for the third straight contest.
• Head coach Matt Matheny earned his 110th victory on Thursday night, moving into fifth on the all-time wins list in program history.
• Listen to all of the games during the NIU Thanksgiving Classic live on WSML 104.5 FM/1200 AM and on the TuneIn app with Taylor Durham and Ryan Meizinger on the call.
Women’s Basketball (3-1)
Elon vs. Bucknell, Tuesday, Nov. 22, at 7 p.m., Alumni Gym
Elon vs. Wake Forest, Saturday, Nov. 26, at 2 p.m., Alumni Gym
• The Phoenix hosts Bucknell and Wake Forest this week with Elon facing the Bison on Tuesday before taking on in-state and ACC foe Wake Forest on Saturday.
• Elon went 3-0 last week with victories over Rutgers at home and wins at the Preseason WNIT versus Eastern Washington and host Central Michigan. The Phoenix’s victory over the Scarlet Knights was its first-ever against a member of the Big Ten Conference.
• Rookie Jada Graves averaged 16.5 points during the Phoenix’s 2-0 games at the Preseason WNIT versus Eastern Washington and Central Michigan. The Alexandria, Va., native had a team-high 13 points versus the Eagles before scoring a season-best 20 points versus the Chippewas.