ELON, N.C. – Every Monday, Phoenix fans can get a look at the week ahead with our “Elon Athletics Weekly Update” feature when we will preview all the week’s upcoming events for our sports teams.
Men’s Basketball (5-1)
Elon vs. FIU, Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 7 p.m., Elon, N.C.
Elon at Georgetown, Sunday, Dec. 4, at 1:30 p.m., Washington, D.C. (FS1)
• Elon is off to its best start in 29 years after finishing 3-0 this past week and winning the NIU Thanksgiving Classic, Nov. 23-26, at Northern Illinois. The Phoenix earned victories against UIC, Northern Illinois and Cal Poly to claim the tournament title.
• The NIU Thanksgiving Classic is Elon’s first preseason tournament championship since winning the EA Sports Maui Invitational mainland tournament in 2012 at Alumni Gym.
• As a team, Elon currently leads the CAA in scoring (89.3 ppg), shooting percentage (.508), and three-pointers made per game (10.0). The Phoenix is also second in the league in assists (15.7 apg) and defensive rebounding (27.3 rpg).
• The Phoenix returns home on Wednesday to host the FIU Panthers at 7 p.m. inside Alumni Gym. Elon will then take part in the BB&T Classic on Sunday, Dec. 4, against Georgetown at 1:30 p.m. on FS1.
Women’s Basketball (4-2)
Elon at North Carolina, Sunday, Dec. 4, at 5:30 p.m., Chapel Hill, N.C.
• Winners of four of the last five games, Elon takes on its third consecutive ACC foe on Sunday, Dec. 4, against the Tar Heels against North Carolina.
• Lauren Brown scored a career-best 25 points 9-of-16 shooting against Wake Forest on Nov. 26, besting her previous career-high mark of 18.
• Shay Burnett notched a double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds versus Wake Forest over the weekend, going 7-of-15 from the floor in 34 minutes of action.
• Brown and Burnett became the first Elon teammates to score over 20 points in the same game since Dec. 22, 2013 when Autumn Carter (25) and Kelsey Harris (22) achieved that feat versus Mount Olive.
• Elon’s next home game is Dec. 28 when the Phoenix hosts King inside Alumni Gym as part of a basketball doubleheader with men’s basketball.