ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s basketball team faces the William & Mary Tribe for the second time in Colonial Athletic Association action on Saturday night, Jan. 21, at 7 p.m. inside Alumni Gym.
Watch the action exclusively on Phoenix All-Access and CAA.tv as Matt Krause and Bryan Anderson will have the call on the broadcast. You can also listen to the action on the Elon IMG Sports Network on 104.5 FM, 1200 AM or on the TuneIn app. Taylor Durham and Ryan Meizinger will have the call from Alumni Gym and the pregame show begins at 6:30 p.m.
NEW BAG POLICY AT ALUMNI GYM
Beginning this season, Elon University has implemented a new policy for bags entering Alumni Gym. All bags entering the arena will be checked before fans reach the ticket booths at the facility. Multiple lines will be available and there will be specific lines for fans entering with no bags.
The following items will be prohibited from Alumni Gym:
* Alcoholic beverages
• Outside food and beverages
• Smoking and tobacco products
• Containers or coolers
• Flags on poles
• Pets (except service animals)
BASKETBALL GAME DAY
For more information on ticketing, parking and directions to Alumni Gym, please visit the Basketball Game Day web page.
• Saturday is the 12th all-time meeting between Elon and William & Mary and the second meeting this season. The Tribe have won five straight meetings against the Phoenix and lead the all-time series 10-1 and 5-1 during Elon’s Division I era.
• The Tribe won the first matchup this season in Williamsburg, escaping with an 88-85 victory on Jan. 5.
• William & Mary swept the season series in 2015-16, winning 75-65 on Feb. 25, 2016 inside Alumni Gym and 89-67 on Jan.
21, 2016 at Kaplan Arena.
• Elon’s last victory against the Tribe came on Jan. 8, 2015, during the Phoenix’s inaugural season in the CAA. Elon toppled
the Tribe 85-79 on Jan. 8, 2015 in Alumni Gym.
• Elon has won three straight conference game at home by 10+ points, the first time the Phoenix has done so in the program’s Division I era (since 1999-00).
• Tyler Seibring leads the team in scoring with 13.7 ppg. He is averaging 21.3 ppg over the last three games.
• Elon is 8-3 overall this season when leading at halftime.
• The Phoenix has made 10 or more threes in three-straight games and five times in the last six contests.
FREE THROW SUCCESS
• In conference games only, Elon is first in the league shooting 77.8% from the line through seven games. Elon has made above 80% of its free throws in three of the last four games.
• The Phoenix had its best shooting performance from the line on Thursday, Jan. 19, against Drexel, finishing 25-of-28 (89.3%) from the stripe.
345 AND COUNTING
• The Elon men’s basketball program has made at least one three-point field goal in 345 consecutive games (not including exhibition games). The last time Elon did not make a three in a game was Jan. 30, 2006, at Georgia Southern when the team went 0-of-14 from deep.
• Elon is currently averaging 10.1 triples per game, which is first in the CAA and 11th in the NCAA. The Phoenix averaged 9.5 made three pointers a game last season.
LUKE EDDY MILESTONE
• Senior point guard Luke Eddy reached 200 assists in his career with three against South Florida on Nov. 17. He currently sits at 257 for his career. He is currently 19 assists away from moving into the top-10 in program history. Tony Chavis ’89 is 10th all-time with 275 career assists.
HEAD COACH MATT MATHNEY
• Head coach Matt Matheny won his 116th game at Elon on Wednesday, Dec. 28, against Central Penn. With the win, he passed Robert “Bob” Burton (1986-93) for the fourth most in program history.
• Matheny currently has 119 career victories and is five wins away from passing D.C. “Peahead” Walker (1927-1937) and moving into third all-time.
Elon heads north for road trips to Northeastern on Thursday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m. and Hofstra on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 4 p.m.