High Point men’s lacrosse falls, 19-5, at No. 3 Maryland

• Senior Michael LeClair extended the nation’s second longest point-scoring streak to 44 games with two points (2g) on the day.
• Sophomore Tim Troutner Jr. continued to anchor the HPU defense making 14 saves in the contest.
• Junior Jason Ashwood dished out two assists on the afternoon for his second multi-assist game of his career.

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The High Point University men’s lacrosse team fell behind early and couldn’t recover in a 19-5 setback at No. 3 Maryland on Saturday.

In goal, sophomore Tim Troutner Jr. made 14 saves in a third straight solid performance, but it wasn’t enough for the Panthers (1-2). In the win, the Terrapins (3-0) were paced by six points from Matt Rambo and a 46-19 margin on the ground.

“I’m extremely disappointed in our effort and our sense of urgency today,” head coach Jon Torpey said. “We got beat by a very good team and this week we have a lot of weaknesses to address. Any time you lose the ground ball battle by 26, you can assure that the score will be lopsided. Hats off to Maryland, they dominated us in every facet today.”

Offensively, senior Michael LeClair scored twice to extend his scoring streak to 44 games – the second longest active streak in the nation. Similarly, junior Jason Ashwood posted two points dishing out two helpers on the day.

Rounding out the offense, junior Terrell Sands picked up his first career goal while senior Sean Harrison and junior Chris Young each netted a goal.

On the ground, Young and freshman Nick Walsh paced the squad with three ground balls apiece.

Meanwhile, on the defensive end Troutner caused two turnovers while junior Connor Robinson and senior Dan McKenna Jr. forced one Terrapin miscue apiece.

The Terps took the opening face-off and immediately converted the possession seven seconds into the contest. LeClair, though, evened the score, 1-1, three minutes later off an Ashwood assist.

However, Maryland responded with a 3-0 run to earn a 4-1 edge at the 3:56 mark. Sampere won the ensuing face-off to set up Sands’ first career goal, which made it 4-2 with 3:38 to go in the first.

But the Terrapins answered back with six straight goals before Ashwood hooked up with LeClair for a man-down goal to send the game to the half with UMD up 10-3.

After the break, Maryland stayed hot posting a 6-0 run through the third quarter before Harrison and Young added goals in the fourth to provide the final tally.

The Panthers return home next Saturday to play host to Saint John’s in Vert Stadium at noon.