GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College won all nine matches in straight sets for a convincing 9-0 men’s tennis victory over visiting Greensboro College on a sun-splashed Sunday afternoon at the McMichael Centennial Class Courts. The Quakers (2-0) dropped just nine points over the nine matches with the Pride (0-2).
Rookie Tate Godwin was one of four two-time winners for the Quakers Sunday. He took a 6-0, 6-1 decision from Carlos Barragan at first singles and teamed with Mesa Martorell for an 8-1 win over Daniel Pace and Justin Kimball. Martorell took the second-singles contest, 6-2, 6-2, over Pace.
Levi Bruff and Jon-Anthony Thomas teamed for an 8-0 win over Greensboro’s Kevin Nickel and Ryan Mule at third doubles. Bruff blanked Warren Washington and number-four singles, 6-0, 6-0. Thomas collected his first college singles win over Mule by the same score at fifth singles.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers visit Methodist University Saturday (2/25) at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Greensboro vs Guilford
Feb 19, 2017 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 9, Greensboro 0
1. Tate Godwin (GC) def. Carlos Barragan (GCM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Mesa Martorell (GC) def. Daniel Pace (GCM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Aaron Smedley (GC) def. Justin Kimball (GCM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Levi Bruff (GC) def. Warren Washington (GCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jon-Anthony Thomas (GC) def. Ryan Mule (GCM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mason Church (GC) def. Kevin Nickel (GCM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Tate Godwin/Mesa Martorell (GC) def. Daniel Pace/Justin Kimball (GCM) 8-1
2. Graham Pearson/Chasen Chacon (GC) def. Carlos Barragan/Warren Washington (GCM) 8-1
3. Levi Bruff/Jon-Anthony Thomas (GC) def. Kevin Nickel/Ryan Mule (GCM) 8-0