Tribe Hold Off Elon MSOC Phoenix, 1-0

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – Despite a career-tying high seven saves from keeper Matthew Jegier, the Elon University men’s soccer team could not answer with an equalizer as the Phoenix fell at William & Mary, 1-0, in a Colonial Athletic Association match on Wednesday, Oct. 11, at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field.


Elon (3-3-6, 0-2-3 CAA) had its winless streak extended to eight games with the setback to the Tribe, who improved to 6-4-3 overall and 2-2-2 in league play. The Phoenix also moved to 2-6-1 all-time versus the Tribe and 1-3-1 in Williamsburg.

The Rundown
Neither team had a shot in the match until the 15th minute when the Phoenix got a couple of chances off the feet of John Walden and Marcel Fahrenholz. Both attempts led to an Elon corner opportunity, but the Tribe was able to keep the maroon and gold from taking advantage.

The most dangerous opportunity for the Tribe in the opening half came inside the 27th minute. William & Mary’s Graham Guidry beat Jegier and the Phoenix defense and had what appeared to be an empty net in front of him. A hustling Nicholas Graves arrived in time to deflect the ball for the Phoenix as Elon was able to recover to block the rebound attempt from William Eskay.

Both teams went into halftime with 12 shots between them in the opening stanza with the Tribe outshooting the Phoenix 7-5. William & Mary also had the three lone attempts on goal in the first period.

Six minutes into the second half, Elon avoided danger as the Tribe’s Antonio Bustamante had a look from near the 18-yard area hit the right post. Four minutes later, Jegier had to make a pair of big saves to keep the Tribe off the scoreboard. Ryder Bell took a curling shot that was blocked by Jegier, but the carom found the foot of Reeves Trott with Jegier able to make the stop again.

William & Mary finally found the back of the net inside the 65th minute. Guidry put in the first score of the match off a Jegier deflection. It was the first goal of the season for Guidry and put the Tribe ahead 1-0.

Elon’s Luke Matthews had the Phoenix’s first best look in the second half in the 72nd minute. The sophomore intercepted a ball near midfield and raced up the field looking to make a play with a bending shot towards the goal. The centerback’s momentum carried the ball high over the target however to give the possession back to William & Mary.

A final look for Elon came at the 78th minute. Billy Beresford and Jahmeil Curwen got behind the Tribe defense after playing a ball from Jack Willbye outside the box. Curwen had the initial look with a header that was stopped by the keeper with Beresford ready for the follow, but the referee put up the flag for offsides.

The Tribe spent the remainder of the match bleeding the clock and dominated possession from the Phoenix. Elon could not get another great look as the match would end in the 1-0 result for William & Mary.

Inside the Box Score
• The Tribe won the shot battle, 20-7, with a 13-2 advantage in the second half. Elon was also held without a shot on goal for the first time this season, while William & Mary had nine. Fahrenholz led the Phoenix with a pair of shots.
• Jegier played all 90 minutes between the posts for the Phoenix and matched his career-high save total for the third time.
• Nicholas Graves made his first career start for the Phoenix. It was the redshirt freshman’s sixth overall match of the season.
• Elon has now held an opponent to one goal or fewer in 19 or its past 21 matches.

Up Next
Elon returns to the pitch to host Northeastern at Rudd Field on Saturday, Oct. 14. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.