RICHMOND, Va. – Following a game that featured multiple outstanding individual performances and an eighth consecutive victory, a pair of Elon University football players were honored with CAA Football weekly awards. Freshman kicker Owen Johnson was recognized as the league’s special teams player of the week, while red-shirt freshman Brelynd Cyphers was named the rookie of the week after Elon’s 33-30 win over Towson.
Johnson made a career-best four field goals, including two in overtime. The Louisville, Ky., native connected on field goals of 32, 19 and 28 yards before booting a 26-yarder in the second overtime for his third game-winning kick of the season. He averaged 62.2 yards on six kickoffs in the victory.
Johnson leads CAA Football with 14 field goals for the season. On the year, he has made 73.7 percent of his field goals and is 13-of-14 from inside of 40 yards. He leads the team with 60 total points.
Cyphers rushed for a career-high 129 yards and a touchdown on only 14 carries, notching the first 100-yard rushing performance of his career. The native of Virginia Beach, Va., averaged 9.2 yards per carry and his five-yard scoring run gave Elon a 21-10 advantage in the third quarter. Cyphers and teammate DeSean McNair gave Elon a pair of 100-yard backs in the same game for the first time since 2009.
On the season, Cyphers has carried the ball 79 times for 368 yards and four touchdowns. He also has two receptions for 10 yards in his rookie campaign.
The pair will look to lead the maroon and gold to an ninth consecutive victory this weekend as Elon visits New Hampshire at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11.
Elon’s 2017 CAA Football Weekly Award Winners
• Davis Cheek – Rookie of the Week (Sept. 11)
• Owen Johnson – Special Teams Player of the Week (Sept. 11)
• Malcolm Summers – co-Offensive Player of the Week (Sept. 25)
• Tyler Campbell – Defensive Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
• Davis Cheek – co-Rookie of the Week (Oct. 23)
• Davis Cheek – Offensive Player of the Week (Oct. 30)
• Kortez Weeks – co-Rookie of the Week (Oct. 30)
• Owen Johnson – Special Teams Player of the Week (Nov. 6)
• Brelynd Cyphers – Rookie of the Week (Nov. 6)