WHEN: Tuesday, Nov. 21 | 8 p.m.
WHERE: Millis Center – High Point, N.C.
RECORDS: High Point (1-2), Methodist (2-0)
SERIES RECORD: High Point leads, 1-0
LAST MEETING: High Point defeated Methodist, 96-50, on Dec. 28, 2015 in High Point, N.C.
LIVE STATS: Click here
VIDEO: Big South Network
LIVE AUDIO: High Point Panthers Radio Network
GAME NOTES: Click here
HIGH POINT, N.C. — The High Point University men’s basketball team (1-2) returns to action Tuesday night (Nov. 21) against Methodist (2-0). Tip-off at the Millis Center is scheduled for 8 p.m.
Kevin Burke will be back on the call on the High Point Panthers Radio Network on Tuesday, with pre-game coverage beginning approximately at 7:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on Big South Network, with Kevin McMahon bringing the play-by-play and For Martin providing color commentary.
• This will be the second-ever meeting between the programs with High Point winning the first meeting, 96-50, on Dec. 28, 2015 in the Millis Center. Tarique Thompson led five Panthers in double figures with 18 points.
• The Panthers are coming off a 79-77 loss to The Citadel on Nov. 18 at the Millis Center. Junior Andre Fox recorded a career-high 24 points and was 4-of-4 from 3-point range.
• Freshman Justyn Mutts had his best game in the Purple & White yet, recording season bests of 10 points, five rebounds, four blocks, three assists and three steals in 26 minutes of action.
• Mutts’ four blocks vs. The Citadel was the most by a Panther freshman since John Brown swiped four attempts against Appalachian State on Nov. 13, 2012. Mutts leads the Big South with eight blocks through three games (2.7 per game).
• Junior Andre Fox and sophomore Jahaad Proctor have started off the season with hot shooting all around the court. Fox leads the Big South in field goal percentage at 57.6%, while Proctor is third at 52.8 percent. Proctor leads the Big South in 3-point field goal percentage and is tied for 15th in the country at 66.7 percent, while Fox is second in the conference and 34th in the nation at 60.0 percent. In addition, the two are a combined 20-20 from the free throw line (Fox 12-12, Proctor 8-8).
• Senior Jordan Whitehead has started the first three games of his HPU career this season and had a career-high six points and four rebounds at Tennessee on Nov. 14. Whitehead currently has played 61 minutes, which is 10 more than he played in his first two seasons combined. He has added 12 points, which is one shy of the amount he had coming into this season (13).
• The Panthers went 12-for-12 from the line against The Citadel on Nov. 18, the third time in program history shooting 100 percent in a game with 10 or more attempts. The Panthers were a perfect 16-16 against Campbell on Feb. 14, 2015 and 10-10 at Liberty on Jan. 26, 2008.
HISTORY vs. METHODIST
This is the second meeting between High Point and Methodist. The Panthers won the only meeting, 96-50, on Dec. 28, 2015 at the Millis Center. Tarique Thompson led five Panthers in double figures with 18 points.
HISTORY vs. USA SOUTH OPPONENTS
The Panthers are 23-1 all-time against USA South opponents. High Point is 7-1 against Greensboro College, 6-0 against Ferrum, 2-0 against Averett, Covenant, North Carolina Wesleyan and Piedmont and 1-0 against William Peace and Methodist. HPU’s only loss against a USA South team came in 1992. The Purple & White were 3-0 against USA South opponents last season with a 74-41 win over Averett in the season opener, a 77-53 win over Ferrum and a 79-61 win over North Carolina Wesleyan.
A LOOK AT THE MONARCHS (2-0)
Methodist has started the season 2-0 after wins over Oglethorpe, 80-66, and Sewanee, 64-60, this past weekend in Sewanee, Tenn. Bryan Rouse is averaging 21.0 points per game, while Davion Ayabarreno has tallied 19.0 points per contest. Jackson Whitley is averaging a double-double with 10.5 rebounds and 10.0 points per game.
The Panthers will play at Charlotte on Friday night (Nov. 24) at 7 p.m.