PINEHURST, N.C. – Elon University men’s golf earned its sixth top-five of the season after placing fifth at the Pinehurst Intercollegiate on Sunday, March 11, at Pinehurst Country Club’s No. 8 course.
William Harwood, last year’s tournament individual champion, finished in 13th after shooting a one over-par 72 in Sunday’s final round. Five of Elon’s six competitors finished in the top-30 of the individual leaderboard. The Phoenix (300-299-293–892) as a team finished six strokes behind tournament champion Radford.
“It was nice to be back in action this week competing down a Pinehurst,” said head coach Don Hill. “The tournament didn’t turn out the way we wanted it to finishing six shots back on a very tight and compact leaderboard. Pinehurst No. 8 course is a great test of golf, it exposed us in some ways, and gave us some things we need to work on. However, we did a lot of good things too and we have three more events before the conference tournament rolls around. I think the guys are disappointed but at the same time encouraged to know they can not play their best golf and still have a chance to win coming down the stretch.”
Harwood was Elon’s best individual finisher for the tournament after carding a final round of 72 (+1). He placed 13th on the leaderboard and just one stroke away from the top-10 after making three birdies on Sunday.
Philip Loeb moved into the top-30 on the final day posting a team-best round of 71 (E), making a team-high four birdies and earning a spot in a tie for 27th individually. Quade Lukes earned a tie for 14th individually, his fifth top-15 and sixth top-20 finish of the season.
Additionally for the Phoenix, Patrick Frodigh placed in a tie for 20th and Jake Leavitt finished in a tie for 24th individually. Charlie May rounded out Elon’s competitors earning a spot in a tie for 31st, just one stroke outside the top-30 individuals.
– Dating back to the start of the fall season, Elon has earned six top-5 finishes in seven tournaments this season.
– The Phoenix had five of its six individuals finish in the top-30 of the player leaderboard. Charlie May just missed the top-30 by a stroke and finished in a tie for 31st.
The Phoenix returns to the links, March 25-26, at the Seahawk Intercollegiate, which will be played at the Country Club of Landfall on the Nicklaus course.
March 9-11 | Pinehurst, N.C.
1. Radford (300-297-289–886) +34
2. Ball State (297-304-286–887) +35
T3. Old Dominion (300-295-293–888) +36
T3. Dayton (298-300-290–888) +36
5. Elon (300-299-293–892) +40
6. Eastern Kentucky (303-296-299–898) +46
7. Longwood (303-306-301–910) +58
8. Morehead State (302-301-309–912) +60
9. Marshall (310-299-307–916) +64
10. Belmont (308-307-302–917) +65
11. Xavier (315-305-300–920) +68
13. Ohio (326-301-306–933) +81
12. Siena (325-300-313–938) +86
14. Wisconsin Lutheran (338-328-327–993) +141
13. William Harwood (76-74-72–222) +9
T14. Quade Lukes (76-74-73–223) +10
T20. Patrick Frodigh (76-74-75–225) +12
T24. Jake Leavitt (73-75-78–226) +13
T27. Philip Loeb (79-77-71–227) +14
T31. Charlie May (75-76-77–228) +15