ELON, N.C. – The Elon University women’s track and field team is set for a busy weekend as the Phoenix travels to South Carolina for the Winthrop Adidas Invitational this Friday through Saturday, March 23-24, at the Irwin Belk Track and Field Complex.
Follow the Phoenix
Fans can keep up with the action of the Phoenix with live results from the program’s schedule page at elonphoenix.com. Updates will also be provided on Twitter on at the program’s handle, @EU_XCTF. For more on Elon women’s track and field, follow the program on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Inside the Meet: Winthrop Adidas Invitational
The Winthrop Adidas Invitational is scheduled to host about 30 schools and almost 900 athletes in the lone home meet of the season for the Eagles. Among some of the notable schools that have at least one athlete in competition this weekend includes Detroit Mercy, Kennesaw State, Ohio, Radford, Wofford, league foe UNCW and host Winthrop.
Last Time Out
Elon opened its 2018 outdoor season at the 49er Classic this past weekend, March 16-17, in Charlotte, N.C. The Phoenix throwers shined at the meet with three having top-five finishes in the discus throw and another setting a new personal-record in the shot put.
Senior Bryanna Hames won the discus in front of her hometown fans as she threw a mark of 155′ 8″ (47.45m). Bre’anna Warren was third in the discus with her mark of 155′ 4″ (47.34m) while sophomore Skylar Barthelmes was fifth with her toss of 148′ 3″ (45.20m).
Warren followed with her new personal-best throw in the shot put as the Greensboro, N.C., native had a heave of 48′ 4.75″ (14.75m) and was third overall. Hames also garnered a top-five standing in the event with a mark of 46′ 4.25″ (14.13m). Barthelmes was 15th in the javelin throw as the Dartmouth, Mass., native had a throw of 123′ 0″ (37.51m) overall.
In the running events, freshman Rachael Wesolowski earned a top-five finish in the 10,000-meters with her time of 38:12.37. Teammate Sami King was also in the top-10 of the race with her time of 38:19.73.
• After the first meet of the year, the Phoenix has several athletes at the top of the Colonial Athletic Association performance list in several categories. Hames has the best mark in the discus throw while Wesolowski is No. 1 in the 10,000-meters. Elon’s 4×400-meter relay team also currently has the best time in the league with its 3:54.28 from last weekend.
• Warren is second behind Hames in the discus in the CAA and third overall in the discus. Barthelmes is third in the league in the discus and the javelin. Elon’s 4×100-meter relay this currently holds third in the CAA with a time of 49.14.
• Hames continues where she left off last season after becoming the first Elon athlete to compete at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in the discus. The Charlotte, N.C., native earned honorable mention accolades at the meet.
• Hames and Warren are the Phoenix returners that competed at the NCAA East Preliminaries last season in the discus. Hames set a new personal and school-record at the meet with a throw of 174′ 6″ (53.20m), finishing 11th overall. Warren had a throw of 146′ 10″ (44.77m) at the prelims.
• Elon fell short in its attempt to three-peat as CAA Outdoor Track and Field Champions last season, as the Phoenix finished as the runner-up with 158 points to Towson, who scored 163.5 points. The maroon and gold ended the meet with four league champions including the 4×400-meter relay team and Emily Dixon in the heptathlon.
The Phoenix will have select athletes compete at the prestigious Raleigh Relays on March 30-31, at NC State.