CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Elon University men’s tennis took its first loss of the month Saturday, March 31, with a 4-2 loss on the road to Charlotte at the Wagner-Halton Tennis Complex.
The 49ers (10-12) opened the day taking the doubles point behind wins at Nos. 1 and 3. Felipe Sarrasague and Salvador Mijares won Elon’s only doubles match with a 6-3 win over Benjamin Wayand and Siem Fenne at No. 2.
In singles, Camilo Ponce and Jacob Bicknell quickly took straight-set matches at Nos. 5 and 6 to put the Phoenix (12-6) on top at 2-1. Ponce started with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Fenne at No. 5 and Bicknell earned his fourth-straight win with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Collin Thomson at No. 6.
But from there, Charlotte came back to claim the 4-2 victory with three-set wins at Nos. 3, 2 and 1 – in that order – to finish off the day. At No. 4, Salvador Mijares and Oriol Puig Forne split tiebreakers in the first two sets, but did not finish off the third set and the match went unfinished.
The Phoenix will be back on court Sunday afternoon, April 1, with a 2 p.m. match on the road against Georgia State in Atlanta.
1. #88 Luca Keist (CHA) def. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
2. Benjamin Wayand (CHA) def. Mario Paccini (ELON) 7-5, 0-6, 6-2
3. C. Christoforou (CHA) def. Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Oriol Puig Forne (CHA) vs. Salvador Mijares (ELON) 6-7, 7-6, unfinished
5. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Siem Fenne (CHA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) def. Collin Thomson (CHA) 6-2, 7-5
1. Luca Keist/C. Christoforou (CHA) def. Neal Port/Mario Paccini (ELON) 6-4
2. Felipe Sarrasague/Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Benjamin Wayand/Siem Fenne (CHA) 6-3
3. Oriol Puig Forne/Sam Rice (CHA) def. Camilo Ponce/Taylor Foote (ELON) 7-5