GREENSBORO, N.C. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team stayed perfect in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play Tuesday with a 9-0 win over visiting Roanoke College on the McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
The Quakers (9-3, 6-0 ODAC) have won seven of their last eight matches headed into a Friday (4/20) showdown at home with league-leader Washington and Lee University.
Guilford made quick work of the shorthanded Maroons (1-11, 1-6 ODAC), who dressed just five student-athletes. The Quakers’ top-doubles tandem of Tate Godwin and Graham Pearson pulled out a 9-8 win over Roanoke’s Jose Alvarado and Grayson White thanks to a 7-2 decision in the pro-set tiebreaker. Elijah Gregory and reigning ODAC Player of the Week Mason Robb dispatched of the Maroons’ Jack Doriss and Jack Fishwick, 8-2, at second doubles. Roanoke did not field a third-doubles unit.
Roanoke conceded the sixth-singles point and Guilford won the remaining matches in straight sets. Godwin took out Alvarado at first singles, 6-2, 6-3. Robb’s 6-4, 6-3 second-singles win over Fishwick proved the closest of the five singles bouts. Gregory and Pearson were also two-time winners for the Quakers.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers host Washington and Lee Friday at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Roanoke vs Guilford
Apr 17, 2018 at Greensboro, NC
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Guilford 9, Roanoke 0
1. Tate Godwin (GC) def. Jose Alvarado (RC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Mason Robb (GC) def. Jack Fishwick (RC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Elijah Gregory (GC) def. Grayson White (RC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Graham Pearson (GC) def. Jack Doriss (RC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Chasen Chacon (GC) def. Alson Martin (RC) 6-0, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Logan Glass (GC) def. No player (RC), by default
1. Tate Godwin/Graham Pearson (GC) def. Grayson White/Jose Alvarado (RC) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Elijah Gregory/Mason Robb (GC) def. Jack Doriss/Jack Fishwick (RC) 8-2
3. Jarad Gandy/Logan Glass (GC) def. No player/No player (RC), by default
Roanoke 1-11, 1-6 ODAC
Guilford 9-3, 6-0 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference game