ASHLAND, Va. – Guilford College clinched the second seed in the upcoming Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Men’s Tennis Tournament Saturday with a 6-3 win at Randolph-Macon College in the Quakers’ regular-season finale.
Guilford improved to 12-4 overall (9-1 ODAC) with its sixth win in seven matches. Randolph-Macon fell to 8-8 (4-6 ODAC) with its third-straight setback.
The Quakers’ took a 2-1 lead on doubles wins by Tate Godwin and Graham Pearson at the number-one flight, and by Elijah Gregory and Mason Robb at the second flight. Godwin and Pearson defeated Randolph-Macon’s Baxter Carter and Alex Hein, 8-2. Gregory and Robb stopped the Yellow Jackets’ Erik Moulton and Grant Sarver, 8-3. Jacob Haines and Shane Berry got the hosts on the board with an 8-0 shutout of Guilford’s Jarad Gandy and Kai Glass at third doubles.
Guilford won the first four singles matches to clinch the victory. Godwin was a 6-0, 6-0, winner over Haines at first singles. Robb stopped Sarver at second singles, 6-3, 6-0. Gregory needed a pro-set tiebreak to prevail over Hein at third singles, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2). Pearson dispatched of Carter at fourth singles, 6-3, 6-4.
Jack Aprahamian needed an extra set to take a sixth-singles decision from Guilford’s Glass, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5).
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers await the announcement of the ODAC Tournament pairings. The eight-team event opens May 2 on campus sites. Guilford hosts an opening-round contest Wednesday.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Randolph-Macon
Apr 28, 2018 at Ashland, Va.
(Banks Tennis Center)
Guilford 6, Randolph-Macon 3
1. Tate Godwin (GC) def. Jacob Haines (RMCM) 6-0, 6-0
2. Mason Robb (GC) def. Grant Sarver (RMCM) 6-3, 6-0
3. Elijah Gregory (GC) def. Alex Hein (RMCM) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Graham Pearson (GC) def. Baxter Carter (RMCM) 6-3, 6-4
5. Erik Moulton (RMCM) def. Jarad Gandy (GC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jack Aprahamian (RMCM) def. Logan Glass (GC) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)
1. Tate Godwin/Graham Pearson (GC) def. Baxter Carter/Alex Hein (RMCM) 8-2
2. Elijah Gregory/Mason Robb (GC) def. Erik Moulton/Grant Sarver (RMCM) 8-3
3. Jacob Haines/Shane Berry (RMCM) def. Jarad Gandy/Logan Glass (GC) 8-0
Guilford 12-4 (9-1 ODAC)
Randolph-Macon 8-8 (4-6 ODAC)