HIGH POINT, N.C. — High Point University men’s basketball head coach Tubby Smith has announced that John-Michael Hughes, Rob Peterson III and Othello Smith will join the Panther program in the Fall of 2018.
Peterson III and Smith have signed National Letters of Intent, while Hughes will join the Purple & White as a preferred walk-on.
Rob Peterson III
6-6 | 190 | Forward
Waxham, N.C. | Hargrave Military
• Played 2017-18 season at Hargrave Military Academy on postgraduate squad after graduating from Charlotte
• Two-time all-conference player at Charlotte Christian
• North Carolina Private School All-Star
• Father, Buzz Peterson, is assistant general manager for Charlotte Hornets and won 1982 NCAA title with North Carolina
Coach Smith on Rob Peterson III – “Rob is a young man from North Carolina who went to school at Charlotte Christian and then to Hargrave Military Academy where he gained valuable experience, got stronger, and that’s going to be a real asset to us. He gives us depth that we need as well.”
6-10 | 210 | Center
Brooklyn, N.Y. | Washington Academy
• Played 2017-18 season at Washington Academy after graduating from Abraham Lincoln
• Helped lead Abraham Lincoln to city, borough and state championship with an undefeated season
• Co-MVP of state title game for Abraham Lincoln
Coach Smith on Othello Smith – “Othello is a big man that has good hands, runs the floor well and gives us valuable depth and size. He can block shots, passes well and really understands how to play the game.”
6-2 | 170 | Guard
Ligonier, Pa. | IMG Academy (Fla.)
• IMG Academy Boys Basketball Student-Athlete of the Year for 2017-18
• 1,000-point scorer
• 2017-18 captain of IMG Academy squad
Coach Smith on John-Michael Hughes – “John-Michael comes from a good athletic program and will give us depth at the guard position. As a walk-on, I’m confident he’ll come in, work hard and contribute to the team in anyway he can.”
The trio joins Curtis Holland III, who signed a National Letter of Intent in November, in the Panthers’ incoming Class of 2018.