ELON, N.C. – The Elon University women’s track and field team is set to make its 2018-19 indoor debut at the JDL College Kickoff Classic this Saturday, Dec. 1, at the JDL Fast Track Complex. The meet is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m.
Follow the Action
Keep up with the action of the meet via live results by going to the women’s track and field schedule page at elonphoenix.com. Other updates of the meet will be provided on Twitter at the program’s handle @ElonXCTF. A full recap of the day will be posted on elonphoenix.com following the conclusion of the meet.
• About 17 Phoenix athletes are expected to be in competition on Saturday at the JDL College Kickoff Classic.
• Saturday will be one of five meets during the indoor season that the Phoenix will participate in at the JDL Fast Track Complex.
• Among the 17 athletes slated to compete on Saturday for Elon, five are newcomers to the team this year. The quintet of Kathleen Collins (shot put and weight throw), Jordan Haywood (60-meter hurdles and 60-meters), Blythe Hehmeyer (pole vault), Kristine Strazdite (shot put and weight throw) and Lauren Willingham (60-meter hurdles and 400-meters) will make their collegiate debuts for the Phoenix at the meet.
• Among the notable names in action this Saturday for the Phoenix includes senior Katie Arbogast, who was a runner-up in the 500-meters at the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Championships last season. The Media, Pa., native set the school-record in the event last season with her time of 1:14.82.
• Last year, Elon finished with a program-best 27 points at the ECAC Indoor Championships and finished 10th overall at the meet.
• Mark Elliston enters his 13th season at the helm of the Elon women’s track and field program. In the past 11 years under Elliston’s leadership, the Phoenix track and field team has won two Colonial Athletic Association championships and two other runner-up finishes.
The Phoenix will have more than a month off from competition before returning for the Wake Forest Invitational on Jan. 19-20, back at the JDL Fast Track Complex.