High Point vs. Richmond
WHEN: Saturday, Dec. 22 | 7 p.m.
WHERE: Washington, D.C. | Entertainment and Sports Arena
SERIES RECORD: 2nd Meeting, Richmond leads, 1-0
LIVE STATS: Click Here
AUDIO: High Point Panther Radio Network
VIDEO: Facebook Live
GAME NOTES: Click Here
HIGH POINT, N.C. — The High Point University men’s basketball team travels to Washington, D.C., to take on Richmond as part of the EventsDC Holiday HoopsFest on Saturday (Dec. 22). Tip-off at the brand new Entertainment and Sports Arena is set for 2:30 p.m.
• The Panthers (6-5) and Spiders (4-7) battle for only the second time. UR won the first matchup, 80-56, in 2014.
• High Point won its third-consecutive game Monday (Dec. 17), defeating a tough North Carolina Wesleyan team, 90-85, in overtime.
• Junior Brandonn Kamga hit his second buzzer-beater of the season, this time to tie the game and send it to overtime. He hit a 3-pointer from the wing after NC Wesleyan scored a three with eight seconds to go. Kamga also had a buzzer beater against Valparaiso to win the game, 55-53, on Dec. 4.
• Junior Jahaad Proctor had nine of his career-high 35 points in the extra frame. Proctor also tallied career highs with nine assists and five steals. It was the seventh game out of his last eight that Proctor has scored 20 or more points.
• Proctor’s 35 points were the first time a Panther has scored 30 or more points since John Brown dropped 32 on Gardner-Webb Feb. 3, 2016.
• Senior Jordan Whitehead grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds against NC Wesleyan. It was the first time in his career Whitehead has secured double-digit rebounds.
HISTORY vs. RICHMOND
This will be only the second meeting between the two programs. Richmond won the first meeting, 80-56, on Nov. 22, 2014.
HISTORY vs. OPPONENTS FROM VIRGINIA
High Point has complied a 82-77 (.516) record all-time against Division I programs hailing from the Old Dominion State. HPU’s most common opponents are Radford (21-24, .467), Liberty (17-24, .415) and Longwood (24-8, .750). High Point is 62-56 (.525) against Big South programs from Virginia and 20-21 (.488) against the rest of the state’s Division I teams. HPU is 0-1 against teams from Virginia this season, falling at William & Mary.
TUBBY SMITH vs. RICHMOND and the ATLANTIC 10
HPU head coach Tubby Smith is 2-0 all-time against Richmond and 9-4 against the Atlantic 10. Coach Smith’s Texas Tech team defeated the Spiders, 82-70, on Dec. 29, 2015, while his Minnesota squad took down Richmond, 72-57, on Nov. 18, 2012. The game against the Spiders with Texas Tech is the latest time Coach Smith has faced an Atlantic 10 opponent.
A LOOK AT THE SPIDERS
Richmond is 4-7 on the season after falling to Old Dominion, 63-54, on Wednesday (Dec. 19) in Richmond, Va. Grant Golden leads the Spiders with 19.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Jacob Gilyard is second with 14.0 points per game, while Nathan Cayo is averaging 10.9 points per contest.
The Panthers will travel to Columbus, Ohio, to take on Ohio State on Dec. 29 at noon. The game will be broadcast on Big Ten Network.