High Point Central Executes Boys/Girls Sweep Over Page – Wyatt Smith Reporting

The High Point Central Bison girls basketball team bested the Page Pirates by a score of 66-43 on Friday night at Mac Morris Gymnasium in Greensboro.

The Bison and the Pirates began the game with a high scoring first quarter. The Pirates were able to penetrate the full-court press of the Bison and managed to answer their scoring. As the Bison attempted to pull away halfway through the quarter, Page fought back and trailed by just one point at the end of the first quarter. The score was 16-15.

The Pirates began the second quarter by taking their first lead of the game on a three-point shot by Reagan Maynard. Following the basket, the Bison went on an 11-0 run before the Pirates were able to connect on two three-pointers in less than a minute, making the Bison lead only four. At halftime, the score was 32-26.

In the second half, the Bison looked to be a completely different team.

The team came out and played more physically and dominated the third quarter with scoring from Olivia Stubbs and Kiera Williams who contributed for 13 of the Bison’s 17 third quarter points.

In the fourth quarter, the Bison defense was outstanding, holding the Pirates to a mere five points. The Bison offense was led by Stubbs and Williams. The two outscored the Pirates in the second half 27-17.

The final score was 66-43.

High Point Central’s Williams led all scorers with 22 points and Stubbs scored 21.

The Pirates were led in scoring by Reagan Maynard who scored 14, and Anna Schmedes, who chipped in 12.

High Point Central head coach Aaron Taylor talked about the small things that meant the most in the game.

“We had some kids that really stepped up,” Taylor said. “It’s the things that people don’t see. Skylah Connelly taking a charge, and she was on three or four loose balls when we were up by 18 late in the game. Zamira Smith showed heart and hustle and provided a spark off the bench for us tonight. Skylah and Zamira definitely stepped up tonight.

“Scoring-wise we rely heavily on Kiera and Olivia–they always contribute that–but it’s the little things that we really appreciate as coaches.”

The Bison improve to (18-5) overall and (4-3) in the Metro 4-A Conference with the win. Their final test of the regular season will come at home on Tuesday when they play host to conference foe Ragsdale.

The Page Pirates drop to (4-18) overall and (0-6) in Metro 4-A action with the loss. The Pirates play host to conference opponent and fierce rival Grimsley on Tuesday night before ending their regular season at Ragsdale next Friday.




The High Point Central Bison outlasted the Page Pirates by a score of 55-47 in an intense Metro 4-A Conference match-up at Mac Morris Gymnasium in Greensboro on Friday night.

The Bison answered Page’s offense early, and when the teams were tied at eight halfway through the first quarter, it was obvious that it was going to be a close game. The Bison pulled away in the final four minutes of the opening frame, but their lead was small, 17-13.

The Pirates’ Jaden Ellis knocked down a three pointer to open the second quarter and that set a tempo for the Pirates. The team answered, and outscored the Bison 17-10 in the second quarter. At halftime, Page led 30-27.

Unfortunately for the Pirates, High Point Central’s Jamel Marbury hit a three to open the third quarter, and that three, in addition to the one that followed by Dhieu Abwok-Deing, was the difference in scoring for the two teams in the third. The Bison began their comeback at the beginning of the third quarter, and when it ended, the two teams were knotted at 39.

In the fourth quarter, the two teams battled fiercely, basket for basket. One team would score. The other would answer. That was the case until with just a minute and a half to play High Point Central head coach pulled a weapon off his bench: 6’ 8” junior Kuluel Mading. Mading had been benched with four fouls earlier in the game. But the coach had a plan — inbound the ball and get it to Mading. The Bison executed the play perfectly, and when Mading converted a lay-up with 1:11 to play, the Bison had lead they wouldn’t relinquish. As hard as the Pirates fought in the final minute, they were unable to regain control and succumbed to the Bison by a final score of 55-47.

The Bison head coach Joel Battle spoke of the physicality of the game.

“I thought it was a tough and physical game on both sides,” Battle said. “It was a tough fought game all night.”

He then described how the Bison beat the Pirates.

“The last time we played them they sat in a 2-3 zone and did well against us. We had been holding the (Mading) play for a while and luckily we were able to get him back on the court before he fouled out. Mading executed the play. He went up strong and finished. Abwok-Deing did a great job getting him the ball.”

The coach believes that his team will keep fighting with the momentum from the win.

“To get a conference win against a tough team, against a team that played hard and played well tonight, will really help.”

High Point Central’s Marbury was the leading scorer. He finished with 23 for the Bison. Abwok-Deing had 11, and Jyree Ford chipped in 12.

The Pirates were led in scoring by Nate Duggins with 12, Dashaun Ballard with 11, and Ellis with 10.

High Point Central improves to (13-10) overall and (4-3) in the Metro 4-A conference with the win. The Bison finish their regular season at home on Tuesday night against Ragsdale.

Page drops to (9-12) overall and (1-5) in Metro 4-A action with the loss to the Bison. The Pirates have two remaining games, one against conference-foe and arch-rival Grimsley at home on Tuesday. The Pirates finish their regular season on the road against Ragsdale next Friday night.