ELON, N.C. – Taylor Foote earned the deciding singles victory on court six and Elon University men’s tennis rolled to a 6-1 victory over CAA foe William & Mary on Sunday, March 10, at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Additionally for Elon, Felipe Sarrasague won his 10th straight-singles match at the No. 1 position and joined Foote as one of the only two Phoenix to finish the day with a perfect 2-0 mark in singles and doubles combined.
The Phoenix improves to 10-3 overall and remains undefeated at home with a 6-0 mark at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center this season. William & Mary remains winless on the year and falls to 0-11 overall with the loss.
The match began with Elon winning the doubles points and taking the early 1-0 lead. After Mario Paccini and Sarrasague claimed a 6-2 victory at the No. 1 position, Foote and Dino Bonetta clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win over Finbar Talcott and Sebastian Quiros of William & Mary on court three. The second doubles match went unfinished after the point was clinched.
In singles play, Kyle Frankel was the first to finish as he defeated Oren Vasser 6-1, 6-3 to give the Phoenix a 2-0 lead. Sarrasague then earned his 10th straight singles victory of the season as his 6-1, 6-4 win over Brenden Volk put Elon within a point of clinching. Foote then secured the victory with a 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) win at the No. 6 position, which gave the Phoenix a 4-0 advantage.
Felipe Osses-Konig continued to build on Elon’s lead with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 win on court three and Camilo Ponce put the Phoenix in front 6-0 with a 6-3, 6-3 victory at the No. 5 position. William & Mary finally got on the board in the final singles match of the day as Quiros edged Paccini in a third-set tiebreaker, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-3).
The Phoenix begins a two-match road swing on Wednesday, March 13, facing the Davidson Wildcats at 3 p.m. at the Davidson Tennis Courts.
Elon 6, William & Mary 1
1. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Brenden Volk (WM) 6-1, 6-4
2. Sebastian Quiros (WM) def. Mario Paccini (ELON) 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-3)
3. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Finbar Talcott (WM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Oren Vasser (WM) 6-1, 6-3
5. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Jack Kelly (WM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Taylor Foote (ELON) def. Chen Ruo (WM) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Mario Paccini/Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Chen Ruo/Brenden Volk (WM) 6-2
2. Kyle Frankel/Camilo Ponce (ELON) vs. Tristan Bautil/Oren Vasser (WM) 3-4, unfinished
3. Taylor Foote/Dino Bonetta (ELON) def. Finbar Talcott/Sebastian Quiros (WM) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,1,6,3,5,2)