GREENSBORO, N.C. – Visiting Salem College claimed an 8-1 women’s tennis win over Guilford College Saturday on the McMichael Centennial Class Courts.
The Spirits (3-3) won two-of-three doubles points to claim an early 2-1 advantage. The second-doubles tandem of Carmen Wilkins and Lauren Holman downed Guilford’s Olivia La Ganza and Mackenzie Calton, 8-5, to score the Spirits’ decisive doubles point.
Salem won all six singles bouts. Abigail Funez needed three sets to overcome Guilford’s Dakota Mclean, 2-6, 6-4, 10-4, in the sixth-singles contest. Calton gave Wilkins a close match at fifth singles before falling, 6-3, 6-3. Makenna Mason defeated Guilford’s Makayla McLaurin at first singles, 6-2, 6-3.
Guilford scored its point in the first-doubles match where McLaurin and Delaney Taylor defeated Salem’s Lindsay Young and Grace Wilson.
Coach Kim Kleimeier’s ’13 Quakers (1-6) host William Peace University Sunday (3/17) at 11:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Salem vs Guilford
Mar 16, 2019 at Greensboro, N.C.
(McMichael Centennial Class Courts)
Salem 8, Guilford 1
1. Makenna Mason (SAL) def. Makayla Mclaurin (GCW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Lauren Holman (SAL) def. Delaney Taylor (GCW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Grace Wilson (SAL) def. Olivia La Ganza (GCW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Lindsay Young (SAL) def. Megan Kimpel (GCW) 6-3, 6-2
5. Carmen Wilkins (SAL) def. Mackenzie Calton (GCW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Abigail Funez (SAL) def. Dakota Mclean (GCW) 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
1. Makayla Mclaurin/Delaney Taylor (GCW) def. Lindsay Young/Grace Wilson (SAL) 8-5
2. Carmen Wilkins/Lauren Holman (SAL) def. Olivia La Ganza/Mackenzie Calton (GCW) 8-5
3. Makenna Mason/Alyssa Cosentino (SAL) def. Alex Giddens/Megan Kimpel (GCW) 8-0