BRISTOL, Tenn. – Guilford College’s men’s tennis team won its sixth-straight match Saturday, 9-0, over Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC)-rival Emory & Henry College. The teams played indoors at the Bristol Racquet and Fitness Club due to unfavorable weather.
Guilford (9-4, 8-2 ODAC) took a 3-0 lead after doubles play. Emory & Henry narrowly missed scoring a point in the third-doubles match. Guilford’s Kai Glass and Tim Thompson outlasted the Wasps’ Andrew McClung and Brandon McGuire, 8-7 (7-3). The Quakers’ Jay Montague and Joe Horne teamed for an 8-5 second-doubles victory over Archer Marlow and Cooper Garrett.
The Quakers cruised in the six singles matches. The fifth and sixth-singles contests were played using a single set. Guilford’s Tim Thompson won at fifth singles, 8-4, over Garrett in perhaps the closest of the six singles bouts. Horne and Montague posted straight-set, shutout wins at third-and fourth-singles, respectively,
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers visit league-rival Hampden-Sydney College April 16 in a match rescheduled from April 14 due to the forecast.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Emory & Henry
Apr 13, 2019 at Bristol, Tenn.
(Bristol Racquet & Fitness Club)
Guilford 9, Emory & Henry 0
1. Mason Robb (GC) def. Brandon McGuire (EHCM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Elijah Gregory (GC) def. Archer Marlow (EHCM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Joe Horne (GC) def. Dalton Shipley (EHCM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jay Montague (GC) def. Grayson McCarty (EHCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Tim Thompson (GC) def. Cooper Garrett (EHCM) 8-4
6. Kai Glass (GC) def. Andrew McClung (EHCM) 8-1
1. Mason Robb/Elijah Gregory (GC) def. Grayson McCarty/Dalton Shipley (EHCM) 8-1
2. Jay Montague/Joe Horne (GC) def. Archer Marlow/Cooper Garrett (EHCM) 8-5
3. Kai Glass/Tim Thompson (GC) def. Andrew McClung/Brandon McGuire (EHCM) 8-7 (7-3)
Guilford 9-4, 8-2 ODAC
Emory & Henry 8-5, 2-5 ODAC