GREENSBORO, N.C. – Elon University men’s tennis advanced to its first CAA Men’s Tennis Championship finals on Friday, April 19, with a 4-2 victory over No. 3-seeded William & Mary in the semifinals of the tournament at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center.
The Phoenix is making its first-ever conference tournament finals appearance as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association and its first since advancing and winning the Southern Conference tournament title in 2014.
Elon pushes its winning streak to nine matches with the victory and improves to 20-4 overall heading into championship match on Saturday, where they will face reigning 2018 CAA Champion and No. 1 seed UNCW. The Phoenix will face the Seahawks in the championship match at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.
In doubles play, William & Mary prevailed to take a tight double point and the early 1-0 advantage. Camilo Ponce and Kyle Frankel got Elon on the board first in doubles with a 6-2 victory on court two. However, the Tribe battled back and earned two hard-earned 7-5 victories on courts three and one to claim the doubled point. Brenden Volk and Chen Ruo clinched the point with their win at the No. 1 position.
In singles action, Mario Paccini got the Phoenix on the board first with his 6-2, 6-2 win against Finbar Talcott. Felipe Osses-Konigthen topped Volk 6-3, 6-3 on court three to push Elon in front 2-1. The Phoenix would extend its lead to as much as 3-1 following Kyle Frankel’s 20th dual match singles win of the season on court four.
William & Mary didn’t back down as Sebastian Quiros upset No. 96-ranked Felipe Sarrasague on court one to cut Elon’s lead to 3-2 with two singles matches remaining.
Taylor Foote then clinched Elon’s win and trip to the CAA Championship final earning a 6-1, 6-4 win over Daniel Pellerito at the No. 6 singles position. Ponce’s match went unfinished on court five after the match was clinched.
– Elon is making its first-ever conference tournament appearance as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association and its first since advancing and winning the Southern Conference tournament title in 2014.
– The Phoenix has now recorded its first 20-win season since going 21-6 in 2009. It’s also Elon’s third-most wins in a single season under head coach Michael Leonard.
– Kyle Frankel has now set the program record for most dual match singles wins in a single season. He now has 20 singles victories this season.
– Felipe Osses-Konig’s 19 singles wins now ranks tied for second in single-season program history.
– Elon reached its seventh consecutive conference tournament semifinal with its quarterfinal win against No. 7-seeded Hofstra.
The Phoenix faces the No. 1-seeded UNCW Seahawks in the CAA Men’s Tennis Championship final on Saturday, April 19, at 2 p.m. at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Elon 4, William & Mary 2
Apr 19, 2019 at Greensboro, N.C. (Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center)
1. Sebastian Quiros (WM) def. #96 Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
2. Mario Paccini (ELON) def. Finbar Talcott (WM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Brenden Volk (WM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Oren Vasser (WM) 6-3, 6-2
5. Camilo Ponce (ELON) vs. Chen Ruo (WM) 6-4, 2-4, unfinished
6. Taylor Foote (ELON) def. Daniel Pellerito (WM) 6-1, 6-4
1. Brenden Volk/Chen Ruo (WM) def. Felipe Sarrasague/Mario Paccini (ELON) 7-5
2. Kyle Frankel/Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Tristan Bautil/Oren Vasser (WM) 6-2
3. Finbar Talcott/Daniel Pellerito (WM) def. Dino Bonetta/Taylor Foote (ELON) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,4,1,6)
Elon is the No. 2 seed
William & Mary is the No. 3 seed
— ELON —