ELON, N.C. – After over a month away from competition, the Elon University women’s track and field team returns to action to compete at the JDL January College Kickoff Classic on Sunday, Jan. 19. The meet is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. inside the JDL Fast Track Complex.
“Very excited about the first meet of 2020,” said Elon Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Mark Elliston. “This meet will be a certain indicator of where we are at at this early point of the season. We’ve had a couple of weeks of working out and trying to get back into shape after a long break so I am interested to see who will be ready to start off the new year.”
Updates of the meet will be posted on the team’s social media pages on Twitter and Instagram at the handle, @ElonXCTF. Live results will be provided and can be found on the program’s schedule page at elonphoenix.com along with a recap and results at the conclusion of the meet.
About the Field
• Notable Division I schools slated to have at least one athlete in competition at this weekend’s meet include Appalachian State, Campbell, Charlotte, Davidson, North Carolina Central and UNCG.
• Elon is scheduled to have 25 athletes compete on Sunday with a number of performers making their indoor season debuts. Below is a list of events for the Phoenix athletes slated to compete:
Schedule of Events:
9:30 AM: Women’s Shot Put (Skylar Barthelmes, Charlotte Bradsher, Lauryn Carlton, Kristine Strazdite, Kathleen Collins)
10:00 AM: Women’s Long Jump (Alex Tudor, Melody Burke, Alyssa Zee)
1:30 PM: Women’s High Jump (Moira O’Malley, Burke)
1:30 PM: Women’s Pole Vault (Madison George)
4:00 PM: Women’s Weight Throw (Barthelmes, Bradsher, Carlton)
10:00 AM: Women’s 60-meter hurdles prelims (Jordan Haywood, Aaliyah Rodgers)
10:25 AM: Women’s 60-meters qualifying (Alex Cox)
10:45 AM: Women’s 4×800-meters (Stephanie Lair, Emily Smith, Gabriela Varisco de Oliveira, Anna Twomey)
11:10 AM: Women’s 3000-meters (Melissa Anastasakis, Margaret Springer)
12:40 PM: 60-meter hurdles finals
12:50 PM: Women’s 60-meters prelims (Haywood, Zee)
1:10 PM: Women’s 600-meters
1:40 PM: Women’s 400-meters (Aliyah Barrows, Riley Drometer, Lauren Willingham)
2:45 PM: 60-meters finals
2:55 PM: Women’s 800-meters
3:25 PM: Women’s 1000-meters (Sophia Tasselmyer)
3:50 PM: Women’s 200-meters (Barrows, Zee, Haywood, Tudor)
4:55 PM: Women’s one-mile (Hannah Miller, Lauren Lynch)
Last Time Out
• Before the break, the Phoenix competed at the JDL Early Bird Invitational on Dec. 8. At the meet, the Phoenix throwers picked up a pair of event wins and had a pair of athletes qualify for the 2020 Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Championships.
• Barthelmes broke her own school-record in the weight throw with a new personal-record toss of 55′ 9.25″ (17.00m) to take the event win. She also finished fourth overall in the shot put with a throw of 41′ 8″ (12.70m).
• Strazdite won the shot put with the Valmiera, Latvia, native throwing a personal-record mark of 44′ 10.75″ (13.68m). Carlton also finished in the top-five of the event with the freshman garnering a third-place standing with her heave of 42′ 2″ (12.85m).
• Bradsher was third in the weight throw as she tied her personal-record mark of 53′ 4.25″ (16.26m). She and Barthelmes would qualify for the ECAC Indoor Championships in the weight throw while Strazdite was just shy of qualifying by .02 meters in the shot put.
• In the women’s 400-meters, Barrows was the runner-up with a time of 58.52. She also led the Phoenix in the 200-meters with a time of 26.57, good for fifth overall.
• Another rookie, George, was fourth overall in the pole vault with a cleared height of 11′ 5.75″ (3.50m), tying for the second-best mark in school history.
Elon is back in action next weekend, traveling to Lynchburg, Va., to take part at the Liberty Kickoff on Jan. 24-25.