CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The Elon University men’s tennis team fell to Old Dominion, 4-2, on Sunday, Jan. 26 in Chapel Hill.
“I thought we came out with some great energy at two and three dubs. That was the best doubles we have played up to this point,” said head coach Michael Leonard. “I thought we had good energy for the most part in singles and really had our chances to win on Camilo’s court. Jacob was right there at match point with Old Dominion for their fourth point. Credit to them for winning the match.”
In #2 and #3 doubles, Chung-Han Tsai and Nicholas Condos defeated Luca Maldoner and Tomislav Podvinski, 6-3, while Jacob Bicknell and Sam Dively recorded a 6-2 victory over Nicola Vidal and Younes Lalami.
Jacob Bicknell also played exceptional in singles play. The senior recorded a 7-6 win in set one against Younes Lalami prior to having four match points in their breaker (6-6). Their match went unfinished.
Camilo Ponce was another Elon player competing in singles. In the junior’s matchup against Podvinski, he took the second set, 6-4, but lost the first and superbreaker (6-4, 6-1).
Elon hosts NC Central in its home opener on Friday, Feb. 7 at 2 p.m.
1. Francois Musitelli (ODU) def. Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-3, 6-2
2. Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Jannik Giesse (ODU) 2-6, 6-4, retired
3. Tomislav Podvinski (ODU) def. Camilo Ponce (ELON) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Nicola Vidal (ODU) def. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) 7-5 (7-5), 6-3
5. Younes Lalami (ODU) vs. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) 6-7 (1-7), 6-6, unfinished
6. Oliver Tobisch (ODU) def. Dino Bonetta (ELON) 6-0, 6-4
1. #47 Francois Musitelli/Jannik Giesse (ODU) def. Kyle Frankel/Camilo Ponce (ELON) 6-0
2. Chung-Han Tsai/Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Luca Maldoner/Tomislav Podvinski (ODU) 6-3
3. Jacob Bicknell/Sam Dively (ELON) def. Nicola Vidal/Younes Lalami (ODU) 6-2