ELON, N.C. – Elon University men’s basketball outlasted Drexel, 75-70, on Saturday, Feb. 15, behind a 44-point second half on Senior Day.
Senior guard Marcus Sheffield logged his third straight 20+ point outing, finishing with 24 points and four assists to lead the Phoenix. Freshman guard Hunter McIntosh supplied 18 points, six rebounds and three assists, while shooting a career-high 8-of-8 from the free throw line in the win.
Drexel guard Camren Wynter led the Dragons with 23 points and six assists, while forward James Butler added 11 points and 12 rebounds in the loss.
Trailing by four with 14:28 remaining in the second half, Federico Poser snatched an offensive rebound and converted a tough layup over two Drexel defenders to spark a 10-4 Elon run. Shortly after, Seth Fuller drilled his second three pointer of the game to give Elon its first lead of the second half. After Drexel knocked down two free throws to regain the lead, Poser scored his second bucket of the night to put Elon back on top. Two McIntosh free throws capped the burst that left the Phoenix ahead 56-54 at the 10-minute mark.
From there, both sides traded buckets over the next six minutes to bring the score to an even 61-61 with four minutes remaining. McIntosh put the Phoenix back in the lead after knocking down two free throws with 2:57 left to play. A pull-up jumper by Sheffield, followed by a catch and shoot three from Kris Wooten, capped a 7-2 Elon run and gave the Phoenix a five-point advantage late. Drexel battled down the stretch, but Elon knocked down 7-of-8 free throws in the last 26 seconds to secure the win.
The Phoenix came out of the gates firing early in the first half, jumping out to an 11-2 run over the first 3:33 of the game. Hunter Woods got things going by knocking down Elon’s first three of the contest, before Sheffield quickly joined the action with a triple of his own. After knocking down two free throws a few moments earlier, Sheffield led an Elon fast-break and found Seth Fuller on the wing for a knock-down three. Fuller’s three capped the early Elon burst and put the Phoenix up 11-5 with 16:27 remaining in the half.
Tied at 21-21 with 7:58 remaining in the opening half, Drexel got hot from the floor and went on a 10-2 run of its own. The burst left the Dragons on top 31-23 with just under four minutes until halftime. Elon fought to within four late in the half, but a last second layup by Wynter allowed the Dragons to enter the break with a 37-31 lead.
– Elon shot a blistering 50.0 percent from beyond the arc, and finished 17-21 (81.0%) from the charity stripe
– The Phoenix held a 20-9 advantage in points off turnovers, and a 13-7 advantage in bench points
– Elon posted 15+ assists for the second consecutive game, while only committing seven turnovers, its second lowest total of the season
– The Phoenix’s win over Drexel marked the team’s fifth win in the last seven games
– Elon rounded out its home schedule with an 8-8 overall record at Schar Center
– Fuller scored a season-high six points on 2-of-2 shooting from three-point range on his Senior Day
– Sheffield’s 24 points tonight marked the 17th consecutive double-digit scoring effort for the senior, and his 25th overall this season
– McIntosh’s 18 points on the night secured his second straight game scoring double-figures, and his 15th overall this season
– Woods logged his 14th double-digit scoring outing this season after scoring 14 points in tonight’s win
Elon will be back on the road on Thursday, Feb. 20, to continue CAA play against JMU. That matchup is slated for 7 p.m. in Harrisonburg, Va., and will be streamed live on FloSports.