ELON, S.C. – The Elon University softball team begins a 10-game road swing with a midweek matchup at NC State on Wednesday, Feb. 19, at Dail Softball Stadium. The contest is set for a 4 p.m. opening pitch.
Follow the Phoenix
• Live stats will be available for the game by going to the team’s schedule page at elonphoenix.com.
• Updates will also be posted on Twitter at the team’s account @ElonSoftball.
• The game will be streamed on the ACC Network Extra via Watch ESPN or the ESPN app.
Look Back at the Phoenix Invitational
• Elon went 4-0 last weekend, Feb. 14-16, at its second home tournament of the season, the Phoenix Invitational. The maroon and gold swept the field of Radford, Siena and Morgan State twice.
• The Phoenix improved to 7-1 on the season with its sweep of the field and has won six straight going into Wednesday’s game.
• Elon batted .315 overall in the four games with six players hitting over .300 led by Megan White’s .500 average (6-of-12). White also had two home runs as the Phoenix posted eight as a team over the weekend led by junior Ally Repko’s three.
• In the circle, the Phoenix pitching staff had a 0.75 ERA in 28.0 innings. Senior Kenna Quinn and freshman Kaitlin King both went 2-0 at the tournament with King posting a 0.00 ERA and Quinn a 0.58. Quinn also tied her season and career-high in strikeouts with eight versus Morgan State
• Coming off a season in which she was named the CAA Co-Rookie of the Year, White has gotten off to a fast start for her sophomore campaign, posting a .455 average with three home runs, 11 RBI and a pair of doubles.
• White currently sits third in the Colonial Athletic Association in slugging percentage (.955), on-base percentage (.586) and RBI (11). She is second in the CAA in home runs with three.
Atop the CAA
• The Phoenix currently leads the CAA in five offensive categories. Elon paces the league in batting average (.312), slugging percentage (.522), on-base percentage (.440), home runs (11) and walks (40).
• Elon is also second overall in the CAA in runs (55), hits (64), RBI (47) and total bases (107).
• In the circle, Elon is second in the league with a 2.67 ERA and 40 strikeouts.
• Elon and NC State will meet for 22nd time on the softball diamond on Wednesday in a series dating back to 2004 as the Wolfpack holds a 12-9 all-time advantage over the Phoenix. The two programs have met on an annual basis since 2011.
• Since 2012, the two teams have been deadlocked in the series at 4-4. The Phoenix won the most recent matchup last season, 5-4, at home. Elon’s last win at NC State came in 2016, 4-2
Scouting NC State
• NC State is 5-4 on the year after hosting the Ohio State and Illinois last weekend in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Wolfpack went 3-1 versus the Buckeyes and the Fighting Illini with its lone setback coming against Illinois in the finale, 7-3, on Sunday.
• Coming off a 31-27 record in 2019, NC State was tabbed to finish seventh in the 2020 ACC Preseason Poll.
• Offensively, the Wolfpack are hitting .281 on the year with two players in the regular lineup hitting .300 or better. Senior Tatyana Forbes paces NC State with her .548 average while Sam Russ is second at .406. Junior Logan Morris has been the main run producer for NC State with her team-highs in two home runs and 13 RBI.
• In the circle, three players have seen time toeing the rubber for NC State, who has a 3.85 cumulative staff ERA. Sophomore Sydney Nester has been the main workhorse for the Wolfpack with 34.0 innings of action in seven appearances. She has a 4.12 ERA and a 3-2 ledger on the year.
The Phoenix travels to the Gamecock Invitational this weekend, Feb. 21-23, hosted by the University of South Carolina. Elon will face Iowa State, Boston College, Liberty and South Carolina at the tournament.