GREENVILLE, N.C. – Elon University women’s tennis defeated No. 48 ranked ECU, 4-3, to win its sixth consecutive match on Friday, Feb. 28.
“I’m so proud of this team,” head coach Elizabeth Anderson stated. “Everyone showed a ton of grit today and were relentless competitors throughout the match. Kiana’s determination helped to get the positive momentum going in our favor, while Olivia battled hard and competed extremely well. Sofi displayed tremendous heart and won an exciting match that set up Victoria to clinch the victory in a tremendous tiebreaker. We are looking forward to our doubleheader this Sunday and hope to have a good crowd at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Following today’s match, the Phoenix moved to 10-4 overall this season and has now won nine of its last ten matches.
Kianna Rizzolo got things going for the Phoenix, taking down Michelle Ncube 6-3, 6-4 on court four. The victory gave Elon its first point of the match and sparked the momentum for the Phoenix’s late comeback.
Victoria Saldh clinched the match for the Phoenix, battling back to defeat Sibel Tanik 1-6, 6-2, 7(7)-6(2) in a thriller. Saldh’s win secured Elon’s six straight victory and moved her to 9-2 in singles play this season.
Olivia Archer delivered Elon’s second point of the match by defeating Nastja Rettich in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Sofia Edo outlasted Ho Chiao Hsia in a three-set battle, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, to set Saldh up for the match clinching point shortly after.
1. Lisa Hofbauer (ECU) def. Alex Koniaev (ELON) 6-1, 6-3
2. Victoria Saldh (ELON) def. Sibel Tanik (ECU) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Nastja Rettich (ECU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kiana Rizzolo (ELON) def. Michelle Ncube (ECU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Minette Van Vreden (ECU) def. Shauna Galvin (ELON) 6-3, 6-1
6. Sofia Edo (ELON) def. Ho Chiao Hsia (ECU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
1. Lisa Hofbauer/Sibel Tanik (ECU) def. Alex Koniaev/Olivia Archer (ELON) 6-2
2. Nastja Rettich/Ho Chiao Hsia (ECU) vs. Sofia Edo/Victoria Saldh (ELON) 5-4, unfinished
3. Michelle Ncube/Minette Van Vreden (ECU) def. Shauna Galvin/Nicole Shiau (ELON) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,5,4,3,6,2)
Elon will be back in action on Sunday, March 1, for a double header against Western Carolina and Chowan at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center. Those matches are scheduled for 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. respectively.