ELON, N.C. – Elon University women’s tennis won its double header on Sunday, March 1, after sweeping Western Carolina, 4-0, and Chowan, 7-0, respectively.
“With every match our team continues to get better and today was a great example of that,” head coach Elizabeth Anderson explained. “This team is driven and motivated and that’s shown through early on this season. It was also great to welcome back former assistant coach Bret Beaver and his team to the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center today.”
Following today’s match, the Phoenix moved to 12-4 overall this season and has now won eight consecutive matches.
Shauna Galvin led the way for the Phoenix, picking up two victories in singles competition on the day. Against Western Carolina, Galvin took down Emily Elliot 6-4, 6-0, to clinch the match for the Phoenix. Later in the afternoon, Galvin once again clinched the match for Elon, defeating Chowan’s Julieta Lecce in straight set 6-0, 6-0. In doubles, Galvin combined with Nicole Shiau to win both of their doubles matches against WCU’s King & McCall and Chowan’s Fleming & Woolson respectively.
Victoria Saldh put forth another strong day for the Phoenix, combining with Sofia Edo clinch the doubles point in both matches of today’s double header. Saldh and Edo kicked off the day with a 6-2 victory over WCU’s Deehr & Elliot, before taking down Chowan’s Romero & Lecce 6-1 later in the day. In singles, Saldh earned victories over WCU’s Jordan Strickland and Chowan’s Romero to move to 11-2 in singles play this season.
Against Chowan, Kianna Rizzolo defeated Stephanie Fernandez in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, while Alex Koniaev outlasted Anna Karbolina 6-4, 6-2. Koniaev also played a role in doubles for the Phoenix, combining with Olivia Archer to defeated Karbolina & Fernandez 6-2.
1. Alex Koniaev (ELON) vs. Jacy Smith (WCU) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
2. Victoria Saldh (ELON) def. Jordan Strickland (WCU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Olivia Archer (ELON) vs. Carli Deehr (WCU) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
4. Kiana Rizzolo (ELON) vs. Lauren McCall (WCU) 7-5, 2-3, unfinished
5. Shauna Galvin (ELON) def. Emily Elliott (WCU) 6-4, 6-0
1. Olivia Archer/Alex Koniaev (ELON) def. Jordan Strickland/Jacy Smith (WCU) 6-0
2. Victoria Saldh/Sofia Edo (ELON) def. Carli Deehr/Emily Elliott (WCU) 6-2
3. Shauna Galvin/Nicole Shiau (ELON) def. Jordyn King/Lauren McCall (WCU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5)
1. Alex Koniaev (ELON) def. Arina Karbolina (CU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Victoria Saldh (ELON) def. Alicia Romero-Gomez (CU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Kiana Rizzolo (ELON) def. Stephanie Fernandez (CU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Shauna Galvin (ELON) def. Julieta Lecce (CU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Sofia Edo (ELON) def. Asuntha Fleming (CU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nicole Shiau (ELON) def. Alexa Woolson (CU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Alex Koniaev/Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Arina Karbolina/Stephanie Fernandez (CU) 6-2
2. Victoria Saldh/Sofia Edo (ELON) def. Julieta Lecce/Alicia Romero-Gomez (CU) 6-1
3. Shauna Galvin/Nicole Shiau (ELON) def. Asuntha Fleming/Alexa Woolson (CU) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,4,2,3,1)
Elon will be back in action on Saturday, March 7, to take on James Madison in Harrisonburg, Va. That matchup is slated to begin at 11 a.m.