ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s tennis team defeated the Navy Midshipmen on Tuesday, March 10, 6-1.
“Overall, it was a great team win over a tough Navy team,” said assistant coach J.D. Shade. “I’m proud of Sam for finding an extra gear to overcome a one-set deficit and win his respective match in a third set super tiebreaker.”
The Phoenix started out strong in doubles. Nicholas Condos and Kyle Frankel captured a 6-4 win, followed by Chung-Han Tsai and Dino Bonetta winning No. 3 doubles, 6-2. Sam Dively and Camilo Ponce’s matchup against Jack Dabek and Gavin Segraves went unfinished after the Phoenix clinched the doubles point.
In singles, Elon won five of six courts. Frankel capped off his day with a 6-1, 6-3 victory, while Condos’s 6-4, 6-4 victory secured the match for Elon. Bonetta also won No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-0, while Ponce and Dively both picked up wins in three sets.
The Phoenix hosts Charlotte on Thursday, March 12 at 2 p.m.
1. Kyle Frankel / Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Derrick Thompson / Greg Durham (NAVY), 6-4
2. Sam Dively / Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Jack Dabek / Gavin Segraves (NAVY) 4-4, unfinished
3. Chung-Han Tsai / Dino Bonetta (ELON) def. Christian Pumpelly / Andres Ballesteros (NAVY) 6-2
1. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Derrick Thompson (NAVY) 6-1, 6-3
2. Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Gavin Segraves (NAVY) 6-4, 6-4
3. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Greg Durham (NAVY) 1-6, 6-2, 11-9
4. Jack Dabek (NAVY) def. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) 6-4, 6-2
5. Dino Bonetta (ELON) def. Conners O’Brien (NAVY) 6-1, 6-0
6. Sam Dively (ELON) def. Christian Pumpelly (NAVY) 4-6, 7-5, 10-5