ELON, N.C. – Elon University men’s basketball battled, but came up just short against Delaware, 75-70, on Sunday afternoon.
– Elon started the game off strong after a Hunter Woods layup sparked an 8-0 run to early in the first half. Back-to-back triples from Hunter McIntosh and Woods respectively capped the burst that put the Phoenix ahead 8-3 just over five minutes into the game.
– Both teams traded scores for most of the first half, but a late 9-2 run by Delaware gave them a 34-25 advantage at the break.
– With the Phoenix trailing 60-40 with just under 10 minutes remaining in the game, Federico Poser knocked down back-to-back floaters to ignite a 13-2 Elon run. After a Darius Burford steal and score, followed by a McIntosh three, Poser scored another tough bucket in the paint to bring Elon within 11.
– Down 68-53 with 1:32 remaining in the game, McIntosh drilled three triples in 26 seconds to get Elon back within seven. Ikenna Ndugba followed that up with a layup of his own before McIntosh knocked down his sixth three of the day to cut the deficit to 72-67 with 14 seconds to play. Despite Elon ending the game on a 14-7 run, Delaware held on to win 75-70.
– Hunter McIntosh led the way for the Phoenix, posting a career-high 30 points to go along with seven assists and three rebounds.
– Hunter Woods added 12 points and a team-high seven rebounds in 33 minutes for Elon.
– Federico Poser and Ikenna Ndugba combined for 22 points and five rebounds in the loss.
– Elon forced 12 Delaware turnovers, turning the Blue Hens miscues into a 14-6 advantage in points off turnovers.
– The Phoenix also held a 30-18 advantage in points in the paint.
Elon returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 3, against James Madison. That matchup is slated for a 4 p.m. tipoff and will be streamed live on FloSports.