WOMEN’s TENNIS p Men’s Results follows.
ELON, N.C. – Elon University women’s tennis won its third-straight match, 6-1, against Longwood on Tuesday, March 23. The Phoenix has now won eight of its last nine matches and sits at 11-3 overall this season.
– Alison O’Dea clinched the match for the Phoenix, taking down Crystal Nzewi 6-2, 6-2 on Friday afternoon. O’Dea moved to 5-1 in the No. 6 singles slot and 7-2 overall with the win.
– Victoria Saldh got things rolling for Elon, defeating Emma Nurgazieva in the first set 6-4, and taking a 3-0 lead in the second set before Nurgazieva retired from the match. Saldh picked up her team-leading 11th singles victory with the win.
– Lizette Reding continued her hot start to the season, taking down Alexandra Hincu in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2. The win moved Reding to 3-1 in No. 4 singles play and tied her for the team lead in singles victories (11).
– Sofia Edo also picked up a singles win on the day, taking down Sarah Merrill 6-1, 6-0 in straight sets.
– Olivia Archer rounded out the singles victories for the Phoenix, outlasting Adelaide Thuilot 6-2, 6-2.
– The combination of Lizette Reding and Alison O’Dea picked up their seventh doubles victory this season after defeating Crystal Nzewi and Adelaide Thuilot 6-1.
– Sibel Tanik and Olivia Archer clinched the doubles point for the Phoenix, finishing Maria Saez and Nina Hederich 6-3.
The Phoenix will be back in action on Sunday, March 28, when it hosts JMU at 1 p.m. at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Elon’s campus.
1. Sibel Tanik / Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Maria Saez / Nina Hederich (LGWD) 6-3
2. Ali O’Dea / Lizette Reding (ELON) def. Crystal Nzewi / Adelaide Thuilot (LGWD) 6-1
3. Emma Nurgazieva / Zoe Barton (LGWD) def. Victoria Saldh / Sofia Edo (ELON) 6-1
1. Maria Saez (LGWD) def. Sibel Tanik (ELON) 6-4, 6-4
2. Victoria Saldh (ELON) def. Emma Nurgazieva 6-4, 3-0 (won by retirement)
3. Olivia Archer (ELON) def. Adelaide Thuilot (LGWD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Lizette Reding (ELON) def. Alexandra Hincu (LGWD) 6-0, 6-2
5. Sofia Edo (ELON) def. Nina Hederich (LGWD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ali O’Dea (ELON) def. Crystal Nzewi (LGWD) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles: (2, 3, 1); Singles: (2, 5, 6, 4, 1, 3)
ELON, N.C. – The Elon University men’s tennis team picked up its second consecutive win when it defeated Longwood on Tuesday, March 23, 7-0.
“The guys showed a lot of grit today,” said head coach Michael Leonard. “It was good to see Ben win. We’ve been looking for a little more depth on the team and it was good to see him come through. Overall, it was a good performance. Now, we have to have a couple of really strong days of practice to be ready to play a really strong VCU team this weekend.”
-Kyle Frankel and Camilo Ponce clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 victory over Guilherme Sergio and Ernest Rocabert in the No. 2 spot.
-Frankel delivered a 6-3, 6-1 singles victory against Guilherme Sergio in the No. 1 spot.
-After sitting out the last match, Nicholas Condos returned to the lineup with a 7-6 (7-2), 6-0 victory over Guilermo Cagigas in No. 3 singles.
-In No. 4 singles, Chung-Han Tsai earned his third singles victory of the season with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Marc Casasnovas.
-Ben Zipay defeated Ernest Rocabert 6-1, 5-7, 10-7 in the No. 5 spot for his second career singles victory.
Elon will travel to Richmond to face off against VCU on Sunday, March 28 at 1:00 p.m.
1. Chung-Han Tsai / Akram El Sallaly (ELON) def. Rosen Naydenov (LWUM) 6-2
2. Kyle Frankel / Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Guilherme Sergio / Ernest Rocabert (LWUM) 6-4
3. Guillermo Cagigas / Marc Casasnovas (LWUM) def. Nicholas Condos / Sam Dively (ELON) 6-1
1. Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Guilherme Sergio (LWUM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Akram El Sallaly (ELON) def. Rosen Naydenov (LWUM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Guillermo Cagigas (LWUM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
4. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) def. Marc Casasnovas (LWUM) 6-0, 6-3
5. Ben Zipay (ELON) def. Ernest Rocabert (LWUM) 6-1, 5-7, 10-7
6. Camilo Ponce (ELON) won by default
Order of Finish: Doubles: (3, 1, 2); Singles: (6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5)