FARMVILLE, Va. – Guilford men’s tennis enjoyed its second 9-0 sweep in the last two days on Monday, April 12th, when the Quakers completed a 9-0 victory at Hampden-Sydney (1-7, 0-6 ODAC) in Farmville, Va.
Guilford (7-1, 6-1 ODAC) built up a 3-0 advantage after a trio of wins in doubles action. The No. 1 seeded pairing of Elijah Gregory and Joe Horne were responsible for an 8-3 win over Tyler Brice and Andrew Donelson. Teammates Drake Schreiber and Jay Montague also picked up a win in the No. 2 clash with Bryson Alley/Andrew Quick, earning an 8-1 victory. The final point in doubles play for Guilford came from Dominik Pocrnja and Tim Thompson, who defeated David Hudson and Patrick Conde by an 8-4 score.
The Quakers’ domination on the Tiger Tennis Courts continued in singles play as Horne notched his second win of the day (6-1, 6-1) over Brice in the meeting of No. 1s. Schreiber tallied a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8) in No. 2 singles over Donelson.
Gregory claimed a 6-0, 6-3 win in No. 3 singles over Alley and teammate Jay Montague kept the Quakers perfect in No. 4 singles as he downed Quick by scores of 6-2, 6-0. Tye Sasser defeated Hudson in the clash of No. 5 seeds, posting a 6-0, 6-2 victory. Drew Clark also played a key role in allowing Guilford to earn the sweep, defeating Conde 6-4, 6-0 in No. 6 singles.
Guilford 9, Hampden-Sydney 0
1. Joe Horne (GUILM) def. Tyler Brice (HSC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Drake Schreiber (GUILM) def. Andrew Donelson (HSC) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Elijah Gregory (GUILM) def. Bryson Alley (HSC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Jay Montague (GUILM) def. Andrew Quick (HSC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Tye Sasser (GUILM) def. David Hudson (HSC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Drew Clark (GUILM) def. Patrick Conde (HSC) 6-4, 6-0
1. Elijah Gregory/Joe Horne (GUILM) def. Tyler Brice/Andrew Donelson (HSC) 8-3
2. Drake Schreiber/Jay Montague (GUILM) def. Bryson Alley/Andrew Quick (HSC) 8-1
3. Dominik Pocrnja/Tim Thompson (GUILM) def. David Hudson/Patrick Conde (HSC) 8-4
Guilford 7-1, 6-1 ODAC
Hampden-Sydney 1-7, 0-6 ODAC