GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Guilford men’s tennis team ran its winning streak to four straight with a 7-2 win over ODAC foe Bridgewater on Saturday, April 17th in Greensboro. The victory moved the Quakers overall mark to 8-1 and 7-1 in ODAC action.
Guilford took two of three matches in doubles action, including an 8-2 victory by Elijah Gregory and Joe Horne, who defeated Canon Secord and Nick Kiser in No. 1 play. The other win, 8-4, came by Tye Sasser and Tim Thompson, who downed Leyton Pullin and Bryce Cline in No. 3 doubles. Matthew Gordon and Gabe Edler claimed the No. 2 doubles point for Bridgewater over Jay Montague and Drake Schreiber by an 8-7 (8-6) score.
Bridgewater’s (4-6, 2-5 ODAC) only remaining point came in No. 1 singles where Secord came through with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-0 victory over Joe Horne.
The five remaining singles points all went to Guilford. In No. 2 singles, Schreiber defeated Gordon by scores of 6-4, 6-3. Gregory added his second point of the afternoon in No. 3 singles, downing Kiser by a margin of 6-0, 6-2. The No. 4 singles point belonged to Montague, who won a 6-2, 6-3 decision over Edler.
The fifth-seeded Quaker, Sasser, posted a 6-4, 6-2 win against Pullin while his teammate Drew Clark was successful in No. 6 singles against Cline by scores of 6-2, 6-0.
The Quakers close out the home schedule on Sunday with a 1 p.m. clash against Methodist.
Guilford Quakers 7, Bridgewater 2
1. Canon Secord (BCMT21) def. Joe Horne (GUILM) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
2. Drake Schreiber (GUILM) def. Matthew Gordon (BCMT21) 6-4, 6-3
3. Elijah Gregory (GUILM) def. Nick Kiser (BCMT21) 6-0, 6-2
4. Jay Montague (GUILM) def. Gabe Edler (BCMT21) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tye Sasser (GUILM) def. Leyton Pullin (BCMT21) 6-4, 6-2
6. Drew Clark (GUILM) def. Bryce Cline (BCMT21) 6-2, 6-0
1. Elijah Gregory/Joe Horne (GUILM) def. Canon Secord/Nick Kiser (BCMT21) 8-2
2. Matthew Gordon/Gabe Edler (BCMT21) def. Jay Montague/Drake Schreiber (GUILM) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Tye Sasser/Tim Thompson (GUILM) def. Leyton Pullin/Bryce Cline (BCMT21) 8-4