GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Guilford men’s tennis team witnessed its four-match winning streak come to an end in its 2021 home finale with a 6-3 setback to visiting Methodist on Sunday, April 18th.
Methodist (8-13) established a 2-1 advantage with a pair of wins in doubles play. The first of those wins came from the No. 3 tandem of Hayden Wilfong and Kayhahn Alikhani, who posted an 8-2 win over Tim Thompson and Tye Sasser. Teammates Henry Murray and Luke Laney followed that with an 8-3 win against Jay Montague and Drake Schreiber. Guilford answered with an 8-4 win in No. 1 doubles, as Elijah Gregory and Joe Horne downed the tandem of Trent Harner and Coleman Baker.
The Quakers (8-2) evened the match score at 2-2 when Gregory came through with a win over Murray by scores of 6-1, 6-4. The tie was brief however, because the Monarchs No. 5 seed AJ Rogers defeated Dominik Pocrnja by scores of 6-3, 6-4. Quinn McNamara stretched the Methodist lead to 4-2 by downing Drew Clark 6-2, 6-3.
Montague claimed the final Guilford point from the No. 4 singles seed by defeating E.J. Stolmeijer by scores of 6-4, 6-1. The first of the final two victories by the Monarchs came from No. 3 seed Harner, who defeated Schreiber by scores of 6-4, 6-3. The final point of the day for Methodist was tallied by Jordan Theron, who earned a 6-1, 6-3 win against Horne in No. 1 singles play.
The Quakers concluded the 2021 regular season on Saturday, April 24th, when they head to Randolph-Macon for a 2 p.m. clash with the Yellow Jackets.
Methodist University 6, Guilford Quakers 3
1. Jordan Theron (MUMTN) def. Joe Horne (GUIL) 6-1, 6-3
2. Elijah Gregory (GUIL) def. Henry Murray (MUMTN) 6-1, 6-4
3. Trent Harner (MUMTN) def. Drake Schreiber (GUIL) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jay Montague (GUIL) def. E.J. Stolmeijer (MUMTN) 6-4, 6-1
5. AJ Rogers (MUMTN) def. Dominik Pocrnja (GUIL) 6-3, 6-4
6. Quinn McNamara (MUMTN) def. Drew Clark (GUIL) 6-2, 6-3
1. Elijah Gregory/Joe Horne (GUIL) def. Trent Harner/Coleman Baker (MUMTN) 8-4
2. Henry Murray/Luke Laney (MUMTN) def. Jay Montague/Drake Schreiber (GUIL) 8-3
3. Hayden Wilfong/Kayhahn Alikhani (MUMTN) def. Tim Thompson/Tye Sasser (GUIL) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,6,4,3,1)