SWEET BRIAR, Va. – The Sweet Briar women’s tennis team handed Guilford its fifth straight loss of the 2021 season in the regular season finale between the two ODAC programs on Sunday, April 18th.
The Vixens (11-5, 6-2 ODAC) swept their way through doubles competition, opening with an 8-0 victory by Ruth de Souza and Allison Wandling, who defeated Guilford’s (3-7, 2-7 ODAC) Hannah Pardue and Madyson Schreiber in the clash of No. 1s. Alexia Alfaro and Ruth Lechner tallied the second point of the day for Sweet Briar with an 8-2 victory in No. 3 doubles over Nya Reed and Alys Parker. Doubles play concluded with an 8-2 victory in No. 2 action by Isabela Guilarte and Kate Kotany, who downed Hannah Arnett and Bea Niyibizi.
The Vixens continued their solid play at the Dennis Van Der Meer Tennis Center by claiming all six wins in singles action. The first of those wins came from Guilarte, who posted a win over Niyibizi by scores of 6-0, 6-0. The lead grew to 5-0 after a No. 3 singles win by Kotany, who downed Arnett by a margin of 6-1, 6-0.
Sweet Briar picked up a point with a No. 1 singles win by de Souza, who defeated Schreiber 6-1, 6-0. The score remained perfect for the Vixens after a 6-0, 6-1 by No. 2 seed Wandling defeated Pardue.
Alfaro provided Sweet Briar with its eighth point (6-2, 6-0) with a win over Reed. The ninth and final point came from sixth-seeded Emily Wrenn, who posted a 6-1, 6-2 win over Jessica Fuentes.
Sweet Briar 9, Guilford 0
1. Ruth de Souza (SBC) def. Madyson Schreiber (GUILW) 6-1, 6-0
2. Allison Wandling (SBC) def. Hannah Pardue (GUILW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Kate Kotany (SBC) def. Hannah Arnett (GUILW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Isabela Guilarte (SBC) def. Bea Niyibizi (GUILW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alexia Alfaro (SBC) def. Nya Reed (GUILW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Emily Wrenn (SBC) def. Jessica Fuentes (GUILW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Ruth de Souza/Allison Wandling (SBC) def. Hannah Pardue/Madyson Schreiber (GUILW) 8-0
2. Isabela Guilarte/Kate Kotany (SBC) def. Hannah Arnett/Bea Niyibizi (GUILW) 8-2
3. Alexia Alfaro/Ruth Lechner (SBC) def. Nya Reed/Alys Parker (GUILW) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,1,2,6,5)